Author Topic: Ametek 99 questions  (Read 4433 times)

njoelhickson

Ametek 99 questions
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:07:35 AM »
Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to the idea of building my own wind turbine.

For the basis of my first turbine I have an Ametek 99 vdc motor. I have two very specific questions regarding building a wind turbine using it.

First, what type of charge controller should I use for a generator that can conceivably put out 99 volts? And second, how do I rig up a braking system so it won't spin overspeed in a high wind?

According to tlgwindpower.com, the Ametek 99 produces .59 no load amps and 99 volts at 535 rpm.

You help is appreciated very much.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Ametek 99 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 12:38:41 AM »
What blade do you intend to use and how will you mount it? Furling is the normal way of preventing overspeeding.
http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/Docs/Furling.asp

njoelhickson

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »
Here is a picture of what I have so far. I plan to mount it to the top of an old TV antenna tower that is attached to the side of my house. It clears the roof by a good 15 feet or so. Exactly how, I am not sure yet. I may use the mount for the antenna and modify it to fit the Ametek.

Your thoughts?

njoelhickson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
This is a picture of the tower attached to the house. The photo does not get to the top of the tower..but as you can see, it clears the roof by a good bit.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.
Those blades to very much like a set from missouriwind&solar.
AND the those cammo pants look very much like the ones hanging in my closet.
ARMY Vet?
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »
Howdy, and welcome to the forum.
A couple of thoughts.  Depending how the tower is attached to the house, you could have a "hum" conducted in when it's windy.  In some houses, the wind makes enough noise already, so you probably wouldn't notice (like my house).  Just something to think about.
I've never been keen on climbing TV towers (so I've never done it).  You might want a way to tilt down the tower with hinges on 2 legs (un-bolt the third). That implies a cable to haul it up and down, and a safe way to detach it from the house before lowering it.  Can be done, just need to plan it carefully.

Keep letting us see how the project goes.  Lots of us take an interest, lots will have helpful suggestions.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 06:13:21 PM »
Tower looks like Rohn 25. With that much past the house bracket you really need to watch the load at the top or bent/broken tower results.  That tower is rated for 7 square feet of wind load(@90mph winds, 11sq ft @80mph, 15sq ft @ 70mph)  set up like that... you will be pushing it! And that is for a 40 foot tower bracketed at 15 and 30 feet... if there is only 1 bracket on the tower derate the wind load a LOT!.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 08:10:02 PM »
Definitely Missouri Wind and Solar Blades. I have their set of three on an AirX. I agree with MaryB that tower was made for a lightweight antenna. Clamped to the roof and you will shake your shingles loose before it sees high winds and either breaks in half or rips loose from the roof.

Also consider the loads on the Ametek. I'm not sure the end bearings were intended to handle the thrust and weight of those blades. The original purpose of the Ametek was not a windmill. You could couple the blades to a short shaft that was supported on both ends by pillow blocks.

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Coupling-2X497 Something like this attached to the end of the Ametek, then a short shaft supported by pillow blocks and your blades on that.
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=220003011 Pillow blocks, various sizes.
http://www.grainger.com/category/stainless-steel-rod-stock/stainless-steel/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-c24 Stainless steel 1 foot long doesn't cost much.
Pillow block come with Zerk fittings and can be easily greased. The Ametek bearings are probably double-sealed.
I don't know what to suggest on the tower, except it needs to be rated for a mill.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:19:29 PM »
Rohn 25 can handle a small mill IF it is properly guyed. House bracketed is asking for trouble! I run some house bracketed for antennas and it makes a racket when windy!