Author Topic: I would like to build a Jacobs tower  (Read 2393 times)

vassile52

I would like to build a Jacobs tower
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:59:30 PM »
I would like to build a Jacobs tower.

Does anyone have a manual for this type of tower, or the list of parts which appear the dimensions,please?

vassile52

Re: I would like to build a Jacobs tower
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Where to find info about this tower,pse?

vassile52

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 01:16:44 AM »
I'm looking for this wincharger tower's dimensions , please .
Tnx !

makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 07:56:21 AM »
I've never seen a tower like that, nor do I know of where you could find plans.  What's suppose to be the benefit of this kind of tower?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 07:10:20 PM »
The style tower pictured was common around here for TV antennas. No way would I put a wind turbine on one!!! Most were made on the farm... around here it was called a Paul Bunyan tower... basically a piece of well casing with a smaller 1 1/2 inch pipe welded into the top, an x in the center made from 1" rod with a circle formed on the end away from the tower, some 1/2 inch rod ran from the tower top to the bottom. It was supported in between 2 more pieces of well casing cemented into the ground 6' with a pivot axle halfway up the center piece. A cheap winch with 1/4 inch steel cable to lower it to the ground. Like this but with self guying(make sure the 2 side guys go to the side of the center pole that tilts up!

https://www.wv7u.com/mast/mast.html

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 11:07:06 AM »
Very strange tower, especially because there are only two guy wires from the middle of the tower to the ground. These guy wires will get a pulling force if the wind comes from the left but will get a pushing force if the wind comes from the right. Even if one has used pipes for these guy wires, they will buckle already at a low load.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 03:41:23 AM »
It is made for TV antennas, not a huge wind load like a wind turbine. For antennas up to about 5 square feet of wind load it is fine... and the force works by transferring the sideways force to life force, hence the 6' of concrete... the guy rod transfers the force to the base of the tower as a lifting motion, it is to flimsy to apply any force on the down side of the tower, it only works in tension.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 06:19:24 AM »
But if there are only guy wires at one side of the tower, it only works if high wind speeds only come from the left side. There may be certain valleys for which this is the case but normally high wind speeds can come from any direction and then you will need four guy wires at 90° or three guy wires at 120°.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
There are 4 guys.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 03:28:02 AM »
I've seen one of these myself.  Like Mary said, it looked like a home-made adaptation of a radio mast.
I actually stopped my car as I was driving by, turned around and paid the person a visit, because there was a Hugh-Piggott style turbine on it. 
He wasn't interested in lowering the tower (hint) to show me the turbine up close, so I didn't visit long.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 08:36:04 AM »
He wasn't interested in lowering the tower (hint) to show me the turbine up close...

The nerve!