Notices > Polls

How many kWh per day does your home use when you are away traveling?

<< < (7/8) > >>

DamonHD:
I can give you a better answer now given that we have just been away for a fortnight.

Zero natural gas (no space heating or hot water required, no standby losses since all instant and "on demand").

~1.3kWh/d gross electricity consumption, most of which will have been for the fridge/freezer, and about 50% of which was directly covered by our solar PV ie not imported.

http://www.earth.org.uk/saving-electricity.html#meter2016

Rgds

Damon

jlsoaz:

--- Quote from: DamonHD on September 04, 2016, 03:49:25 AM ---I can give you a better answer now given that we have just been away for a fortnight.

Zero natural gas (no space heating or hot water required, no standby losses since all instant and "on demand").

--- End quote ---

no pilot light?

--- Quote from: DamonHD on September 04, 2016, 03:49:25 AM ---
~1.3kWh/d gross electricity consumption, most of which will have been for the fridge/freezer, and about 50% of which was directly covered by our solar PV ie not imported.

http://www.earth.org.uk/saving-electricity.html#meter2016

Rgds

Damon

--- End quote ---

1.3 kWh/d seems very energy-conserving to me.  As it happens, I was just doing a bit of experimenting this morning.  I think for the next time I leave for any length of time, if I shut off certain circuits then maybe can get down to that level that would put me back under 3 kWh/d.... perhaps under 2 kwh/d.  The garage seems to eat up something like 16-18 Watts continuously while waiting for someone to come by and remotely open the doors, though I only did a very quick test.  I'll inconvenience myself to the point of actually having to get out of the car and use a key in a door when I come back.

DamonHD:

--- Quote from: jlsoaz on September 04, 2016, 09:24:43 AM ---no pilot light?

--- End quote ---

No.  Older pilot-light boilers can be less than 50% efficient, wasting quite a lot on just the pilot light itself!

Rgds

Damon

jlsoaz:

--- Quote from: DamonHD on September 04, 2016, 09:27:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: jlsoaz on September 04, 2016, 09:24:43 AM ---no pilot light?

--- End quote ---

No.  Older pilot-light boilers can be less than 50% efficient, wasting quite a lot on just the pilot light itself!

Rgds

Damon

--- End quote ---

Good to know... I'm so behind on some of these things.

I am not sure where to post it (I had gone on about my own home/setup issues) but to avoid standing on procedure and just do a semi-irrelevant-to-this-thread shoutout, a comment from me as to my home setup:

- this week will be having some work done to modify a battery/inverter setup I had installed a few years ago.  Basically, when I had it installed, it was simplest (in terms of wiring) to power the whole house, but over time I have changed my mind and decided that I am not really going for off-grid at this time.  So, in my "hybrid" approach (on-grid, but capable of some limited islanding during an outage even if it extends over several days), it seems best to modify what I've done only to power the lower-power circuits plus the HVAC, as these seem like they would be more essential during an extended outage.

dnix71:
I was forced to remove my solar panels because the owner's insurance complained. Since then I have been 100% on-grid. I still use less than 1kwh a day. Piped in city gas is used for cooking and hot water and I use a small box fan instead of a/c. I switched my Engel MT35 to 120vac from 12dc. I have a new energy-efficient washer and air dry my clothes on a wooden rack.

My bill is about $12.5 a month and 2/3's of that is account service fees and taxes. The absolute minimum bill for electric is now just over $10. My elderly neighbor turned her a/c on last month. I am younger and was born here so I have more tolerance for the heat/humidity in south Florida. If a/c wasn't available, south Florida would be empty in the summer like it was when I was growing up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version