Notices > Polls

How many kWh per day does your home use when you are away traveling?

<< < (8/8)

Mary B:
Pilot light appliance are dinosaurs... they stopped making most of them back in the 90's!

DamonHD:
Still too common in some situations.

We just came back from a holiday in the South of France, and we stayed in a mobile home.

It had incandescent light bulbs, and a propane instant water heater with pilot light.

And indeed all the places that we go on holiday in the UK also seem to be equally backward.

I do leave a comment on the feedback form.

It is especially silly having incandescent bulbs (and pilot light) blasting out waste heat when the temperature is 36C.  Ho hum.  Clearly energy remains too cheap, or they'd sort themselves out.

Rgds

Damon

jlsoaz:

--- Quote from: dnix71 on September 04, 2016, 11:32:57 AM ---I was forced to remove my solar panels because the owner's insurance complained. Since then I have been 100% on-grid. I still use less than 1kwh a day. Piped in city gas is used for cooking and hot water and I use a small box fan instead of a/c. I switched my Engel MT35 to 120vac from 12dc. I have a new energy-efficient washer and air dry my clothes on a wooden rack.

My bill is about $12.5 a month and 2/3's of that is account service fees and taxes. The absolute minimum bill for electric is now just over $10. My elderly neighbor turned her a/c on last month. I am younger and was born here so I have more tolerance for the heat/humidity in south Florida. If a/c wasn't available, south Florida would be empty in the summer like it was when I was growing up.

--- End quote ---

impressive attainment of low energy use numbers.  I live in a similarly hot climate (southern Arizona) but am kind of lax and use my A/C and other energy-hogs somewhat liberally.  When I'm not at the house, I've unfortunately had some mission creep as far as keeping the numbers down.... things kind of add up, so I guess I'm using a bit over 3 kWh/day when I'm not here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version