Logged in users > User Diaries

used 18650 in series and parallel - opinions.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Bruce S:
george65;
I'm finding mine in the newer solar lawn lights.
Knowing the BS out there I de-rate mine by 1/2 until I can prove otherwise.

Like Frackers, I recently picked up two lights at a thrift shop for 1/5th the original price. The batteries were dead and the container looked like it held AAs . I opened them up to swap only to find the batteries that looked like an AA was a 14550!
Nice little battery. I used a Harbour Freight multi-battery charger, put the little battery in it to jump start the charging and then put each one on one of those USB based chargers OperaHouse is so good at posting about.
I followed his post about the limiting and let it charge until the red and blue lights were on (indicating nearly fully charged) then put them back out in the solar lawn lights. They're still there working like a charm.

The freebie lights are the best for the 18550s , I take the center piece out slide , slide the 18550 in and give it a test .
I'll be looking out for those 14550 now to try what Frackers does for the ones that have to have the center thingy.

Hope this helps in your searching.

Bruce S:
Simen;
Having read your posts about the batteries. Here's what I believe you have.
Each one of those batteries will actually have a de-rated charge of about 1800mA until they've gone thru a few cycles.

Knowing this I'm like the others with the max parallel , knowing 3P you're going to have an easy 6000mA which is way more than enough for me  8) while it's sitting at 4Vdc.
If you're looking to build something that resembles a lead acid battery then a 3S3P might be a good start. I use the in-line mini-blade Auto fuses along with water proof holder (don't want spilled coffee ruining my hard work  ;D )

This is what I use for single room LED lighting , it's recharged via HF 15watt panel I found out in the recycle bid.

Cheers
Bruce S

Simen:
As i stated earlier, they're at 2100-2250mA already after a initial charge, then a full discharge to 3.2V and then up to 4.20 again. I'm using an 'iCharger 1010B+', which have its own test-cycle program. I'm guessing they'll end up around 2400mA after a few cycles - but time will tell... ;)

I am not building a 12V battery (for that, i use LiFePO4), but a 5V USB power bank with 4 ports and a total of 6A available on those ports. 2S6P with these cells should give me over 20Ah at 5V.

I'll post pictures in a couple of weeks. :) (Waiting for parts from china...)

Bruce S:
Sorry about that , should've re-read the 1st posts :-)
I'll be interested to see how that looks!
What will you be using to charge it back up?

Cheers
 Bruce S

Simen:
I'll use this one; setting it at 3A charging current will charge the pack in 4-5 hours, and i can use whatever power source within 10-30V that is available...
I've ordered two, so i'm considering using both... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version