Logged in users > User Diaries

used 18650 in series and parallel - opinions.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bruce S:
Simen;
After reading over this I'm a little curious .
Those laptop 18650s what happens if you google the part number on them?
All of the 18650s I have each come in around 2100mA. I've paralleled  them so I have about 8000mA with the voltage sitting at 4.0Vdc Then Series enough of those packs to bring it up to 14.4Vdc.
I'm just curious as to what each one of your cells ratings are.
There are 18550s that come in around 500mA those are shorter than the 18650s and I love using those in my free/cheap LED flashlights as they are a direct swap and last a tons longer than the 3 little AAAs.

Cheers;
Bruce S

george65:

--- Quote from: Bruce S on June 27, 2017, 05:06:16 PM ---There are 18550s that come in around 500mA those are shorter than the 18650s and I love using those in my free/cheap LED flashlights as they are a direct swap and last a tons longer than the 3 little AAAs.

--- End quote ---

This raises my interest!
I have 6 or more little torches that are very good apart from battery life that use AAA's and thought of using a 18650 but read they won't Fit.
Are the 18550's available still? I tried fleabay but can't find any. Were they only fitted to laptop packs?

I want to get an 18650 Torch but get bamboozled every time I look as to what is good and economical and what is just crap.

The 18650 batteries advertised on fleabay are like a lot of other things where the sellers ( knowingly) post outright lies and blatantly deceive people.  Last time I looked at Creditable ( non fleabay) sources)  it was stated the max capacity of 18650's at the time was something like 3600 Mah. There were any number  of cells being advertised at 5000 mah, 7000 mah and even some at 10000. You really don't know what the hell you are getting and could be 1000 mah in reality.

I think fleabay needs to start cracking down on this crap.  I recently bought some LED light bars. They were rated at 210W and I emailed the seller TWICE confirming this was the actual output to which they assured me it was and the light used 5W leds.
When I got the lights, the first thing I did was put them on a power meter and came up with 32W.... 1W leds.  Only 80% short, whats the problem.... which was pretty much how the seller saw it and they tried to spin doctor rubbish about equivalent to 210W output and then questioning my measurements and wanting pictures of my meter and questioning it's calibration.

I told them, I'm not playing games with you trying to distract me, pull one off your shelf and meter it yourself and see what the reading is. Still excuses and want me to pay to send them back which I am not going to do as they were misrepresented.
What I am going to do is an " unboxing" vid on my YT channel showing the light, the sellers name and the reading from the lights along with copys of their BS emails.  Probably my meager 25K subscribers will be of no consequence to them but it will at least give people a heads up to the way these slime ball sellers rip people off.

At least my Chinese Chainsaw has turned out to be a real winner with a couple of tweaks. Bought that on the recommendation of a mate and very happy with it. 

Simen:

--- Quote from: Bruce S on June 27, 2017, 05:06:16 PM ---Simen;
After reading over this I'm a little curious .
Those laptop 18650s what happens if you google the part number on them?
All of the 18650s I have each come in around 2100mA. I've paralleled  them so I have about 8000mA with the voltage sitting at 4.0Vdc Then Series enough of those packs to bring it up to 14.4Vdc.
I'm just curious as to what each one of your cells ratings are.

--- End quote ---

Most of the laptop packs i've opened lately have Sanyo cells (red wrapping) with a Light Blue ring around the + pole, which indicate 2600mA. Earlier, it was more common for me to find Sanyo cells with a Red ring (which are 2200mA).
I also got some Purple 'Panasonic CGR18650 E', rated 2550mA, and Peach(Salmon?) colored LG LGDBB31865, rated 2600mA.

All these came out of some 2P3S Lenovo laptop packs, which states 'Nom. 10.8V, 5.2Ah' (10.8V, 7.8Ah on those packs with 3P3S). (The earlier packs stated '10.8V, 4.4Ah...)

I found this spreadsheet, which makes it easier to identify all the messy markings and colors on the cells... ;)

frackers:
I've used a few 14550 which are the same size as an AA battery. You just have to remember they are well over twice the voltage!!
I've made some dummy AA cells for those items that take more then one AA so I can have a Lithium and a dummy to get me in the 3 to 4 volt ballpark.

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: Simen on June 28, 2017, 01:06:14 AM ---
I found this spreadsheet, which makes it easier to identify all the messy markings and colors on the cells... ;)

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the spreadsheet!! That does make the markings easier to figure out!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version