Remote Living > Housing

Garage Door Opener Inverter Asleep.

<< < (2/7) > >>

dnix71:
If you use 24v then the price for everything goes up. Samlex has a PST series with 24v inputs, but as with all Samlex inverters that have the option, the remote control is a separate purchase. There are many 12v inverters that come with remote controls.

A garage door is intermittent, so a Chinese inverter of uncertain quality might work. My inverter from Home Depot was made in China for a German company that had people there watching the manufacturing process.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-to-120V-220V-2000W-Pure-Sine-Wave-Power-Inverter-with-Remote-Control-/112127769177

This one has a 24v option and pictures purporting to show how well it is made.

frackers:
All the garage door openers I've seen here in NZ (i.e. Dominator) use 24v internally so just use a couple of isolation diodes and run it off a couple of batteries. Nothing is going to be drawing much current until the motor starts up. Some models have battery backup built in.

armadillo:

--- Quote from: frackers on October 08, 2017, 07:54:57 PM ---All the garage door openers I've seen here in NZ (i.e. Dominator) use 24v internally so just use a couple of isolation diodes and run it off a couple of batteries. Nothing is going to be drawing much current until the motor starts up. Some models have battery backup built in.

--- End quote ---
--- Quote from: dnix71 on October 08, 2017, 03:18:28 PM ---If you use 24v then the price for everything goes up. Samlex has a PST series with 24v inputs, but as with all Samlex inverters that have the option, the remote control is a separate purchase. There are many 12v inverters that come with remote controls.

A garage door is intermittent, so a Chinese inverter of uncertain quality might work. My inverter from Home Depot was made in China for a German company that had people there watching the manufacturing process.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-to-120V-220V-2000W-Pure-Sine-Wave-Power-Inverter-with-Remote-Control-/112127769177

This one has a 24v option and pictures purporting to show how well it is made.

--- End quote ---
  Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm still hopeful that I can energize the house inverter some inexpensive way with a motion sensor or something. 
Installing isolation diodes would stop me in my tracks because I'm an electronically challenged individual.   
If I was certain that some specific GDO was all 24 VDC internally I would buy that, but I would have to be certain of that first. I suspect many use 24 volts for control circuitry, but I think the motors are 120 VAC. The ones with 12 volt backup operate at 1/4 speed in that mode.

SparWeb:
Maybe a second, smaller inverter would help.

The small inverter would be on all the time, but all it would do is power the motion-sensors, say on the garage lights.  The motion sensor is AC powered, but nothing more than the coil side of a relay.  The little inverter can run just the coil side.  The lights AC would be run ON SEPARATE WIRES to the main circuit (in fact they already are).  Nobody would ever know that when the garage lights turn on, the inverter system in the house turns on.

Make sure the small inverter's AC cannot possibly come into contact with the main inverter's AC. 
Try to pick a small inverter that doesn't suck too much power when it's idle.

When the bulbs in the garage lights burn out, the system stops opening the garage door.  Imagine trying to explain that to your family members!

armadillo:

--- Quote from: SparWeb on October 09, 2017, 11:45:27 AM ---Maybe a second, smaller inverter would help.

The small inverter would be on all the time, but all it would do is power the motion-sensors, say on the garage lights.  The motion sensor is AC powered, but nothing more than the coil side of a relay.  The little inverter can run just the coil side.  The lights AC would be run ON SEPARATE WIRES to the main circuit (in fact they already are).  Nobody would ever know that when the garage lights turn on, the inverter system in the house turns on.

Make sure the small inverter's AC cannot possibly come into contact with the main inverter's AC. 
Try to pick a small inverter that doesn't suck too much power when it's idle.

When the bulbs in the garage lights burn out, the system stops opening the garage door.  Imagine trying to explain that to your family members!

--- End quote ---
Thanks for your reply.
That sounds workable , but the devil is in the details. If the entire operation could be accomplished with 3 or 4 watts, it would be worth it.
The whole reason I'm setting my system up with most loads on DC is to keep the main inverter in sleep mode, saving 30 watts or so continuous. In the winter, the GDO will only be cycled twice a week. I could also operate the GDO manually, but I'm getting up in the years and trying to anticipate the inevitable. Sliding in the ice and busting my hip would be a drag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version