Remote Living > Transportation

a few basic points about electric vehicles

<< < (26/26)

jlsoaz:

--- Quote from: Simen on January 14, 2018, 12:48:29 AM ---
My Leaf handles 7.4 kW AC-charging, but alas; electricians are expensive here (and the code is strict), so i have to manage with 1-phase 230 V, 16 A for now. It would probably set me back at least $1200 to install a 1-phase/3-phase 230 V, 32 A charging point at home....
--- End quote ---

Yes, it cost me quite a bit to install my station.  When I first got a Leaf in 2012, I went for a few months charging at 120 Volts .... I can't remember the amps, but probably something like 10 amps.  It worked out ok to do this since at that time I had a gasoline car to fall back on if an unexpected trip came up, so I charged overnight in the EV.  So, it was a "want" and not a "need" to get L2, but I did get around to buying and installing a station.  It cost me about USD $500 for the station (I got a good deal, otherwise my high-for-that-time 7.2 kW would have cost more) but about $1,500-$2,000 for the labor/panels/conduit/etc., but that was because in effect my station installation forced some issues in my garage overall, and I wanted it all done right (and if I recall I was able to apply at least some of it to subsequent solar/storage in that a new panel I had installed also was needed for that, for complicated reasons).

--- Quote from: Simen on January 14, 2018, 12:48:29 AM ---.. (Several BEV's can handle 22 kW AC-charging - VW E-Golf is one of them...)

--- End quote ---

As far as I know, the availability of these vehicles is unique to Europe.  I'd love to have better knowledge of what sort of costs there are to the manufacturers for putting the better/faster AC equipment onboard the vehicles, and whether there are tradeoffs other than cost (such as if there are any concerns about battery degradation).

It is not that expensive to buy the equipment for about 19 kW AC in the US (there's a clipper creek model that is not that much more than for the 7.2 kW) but I don't know about install, and as mentioned, I'm not sure which vehicles can accept much higher than 6.6 kW on the AC side.  Maybe some or all Teslas?  I'm not sure what else.

Simen:

--- Quote from: dnix71 on January 14, 2018, 11:42:38 AM ---Simen in the US 3 phase power is not commonly provided to residences or even small businesses.
--- End quote ---

3 phase in are the standard in most houses here; i've got 3-phase, 240 V, 64 A main breakers, and the phases are balanced through the house. And until recently, the standard was neutral and ground in the same wire; new installations today have ground separated. So far, there's no differential off-peak pricing.

Jlsoaz;
The benefit of having 22 kW 'semi-QC' onboard the car would be much cheaper installation of charging points, and the ability to charge for a hour or two while shopping without getting bankrupt. ;) (Here, 22 kW points costs 6 to 10 cents/minute, and 50 kW quick-charge costs 25 cents/minute.)
There are usually 2 poles with 4 22 kW ports installed at the same place with a pair of 50 kW stations.

dnix71:
Simen 3 phase residential is uncommon in most of the world. Norway and Germany are exceptions. According to this site http://www.apiste-global.com/enc/technology_enc/detail/id=1268 Norway has single phase 220v and 3 phase 380v.

I don't like 3-phase at all. Where I work we have equipment crash on a regular basis when one leg drops out for any reason (car hits a pole, weather causes shorts, etc.)

I've been shocked by 120, 208 and 240v. 240v hurts. 380v is touch it and die. We used to have people die at bus stops here because the service drop for lighting was 480, and it is very difficult to get a proper earth in the coral rock that lies just below the topsoil here. Recently bus stops were converted to solar powered LED's.

jlsoaz:
Hi - regarding some small businesses started by folks who have knowledge as to making EVs, and related

This one was started by someone in Tucson, Arizona, USA, that I know.  He is knowledgeable about making electric vehicles and when mass-production by established automakers came along, he seems to have devised some useful EVSE (EV Supply Equipment) products.

http://tucsonev.com
Tucson EV
We specialize in J1772 Plugs, Inlets, wire and cords to connect them.

I know these other two less well, but I think similar story lines apply, of filling a niche market in EVSE, except I think they're California-based. 

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm
JESLAâ„¢; is THE 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution!

http://evseupgrade.com
Welcome to EVSE Upgrade
"...Our upgrade service leverages the Level 1 cord you already have and improves its function by safely adding Level 2 capability which works on higher power outlets (208-240 volts)..."

I guess to tie this in, my point here is that this is one area in which entrepeneurs and DIY folks seem to be trying to start a few businesses now that the main area of making the cars is being more heavily pushed by the large automakers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version