Author Topic: Annoying generator.  (Read 1140 times)

tanner0441

Annoying generator.
« on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:12 AM »
Hi

I have a 2Kw inverter generator. Every thing works in it, smart throttle clean stable output. Until... It hasn't been used for a few months. Then you get no output, sometimes it will kick in after 15 mins or so. I assumed it is a synchronous alternator and need a kick to start it. I have found (can't get to the throttle) plug the load in, switch the smart throttle off so it runs at 3000 RPM push the choke on for a few seconds then snap it back off the engine momentary over revs and after doing this a couple of times it kicks in and you hear the load come onto the engine. perfect again, until its stored for a few months.

Brian

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Annoying generator.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 01:57:33 PM »
Clean the field coil brushes...if it has any..??
WILD in ALASKA

tanner0441

Re: Annoying generator.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »
Hi

I don't think it does I think its a synchronous alternator and when its parked up for a couple of months it loses residual magnetism. until it gets over revved momentarily. Once it starts working it is perfect. Pure sign wave very clean on a scope, no noise when sniffing round it with a radio. According to the spec sheet it is cleaner than the grid. delivers 2Kw for hours 2.1 kW for 5 mins trips out 2.2 Kw. Have to shut it down to re boot it but its an easy starter.

Brian