Author Topic: ISOLATED 1 & 3 Phase Wind Voltage Converter for Micro  (Read 9984 times)

OperaHouse

ISOLATED 1 & 3 Phase Wind Voltage Converter for Micro
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:27:42 AM »
Opto isolated voltage board for 3 phase wind turbines for use with ARDUINO based four relay
dump load controller. Electrical isolation and some lightning protection. Suggest adding MOV to
pins 1 & 2 of opto to ground as isolation could be as low as 3KV. Single phase is easy to
calibrate with variac or several transformers in buck or boost. Set normal output from 2-2.5V
to prevent clamping of waveform. Opto can be from 30% transfer up to 300%. You never know exactly
what it will be. Adjusting to this voltage will prevent peaks from flat topping and being non linear.
Suggest replace pot with nearest fixed resistor to prevent erratic operation due to environmental
corrosion. Any opto isolator will do.  The PC817 is common in most wall warts and switching supplies
of home electronics.  Should be easy to come by. The dot on the top is pin one. Shown as a top view.
Any small diode can be used as reverse voltage will be under 6V. LED current is just a couple of ma.
Suggest placing the 22K or 33K resistors at the terminal end that connects to the wind voltage. Shrink
along with connector.  This eliminates the need for a fuse and allows using thin moderately insulated
wires going to the rectifier. Any short will not cause a wire to burn up. 1/2 W att would be sufficient
though prefer 1W resistors. Tested and works well for your application.

Opto isolator voltage transfer is not perfectly linear, but close enough for limited voltage range.
You are primrily interested in counts.

ontfarmer

Re: ISOLATED 1 & 3 Phase Wind Voltage Converter for Micro
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:55:21 AM »
May be the first of the week before I get back,  got a doctor appointment today.

Thanks for putting that together.

ontfarmer

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 09:30:42 AM »
Update on what I have put together.  This is to replace the voltage control switches that control the restive heaters.  I got the switches from Solar Converts which has closed their doors.

This is to rectify and reduce voltage for a micro.  The resistors are 33K, diodes in4007,  opto isolator PC817.  The turbine is three phase,  A B C  of the diagram to hooked to a leg of the turbine.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:00:36 AM by ontfarmer »

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 01:44:18 AM »
I'm curious what PC817 you have.  There should be a letter up by the dimple...A, B, C, or none. Could be after the 817. You are forgiven if you can not see it. I have to use a USB microscope these days.  Everyone should have one of these.  They are great!

ontfarmer

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:44:44 AM »
There is no letter by the dimple that I can see. The number  817D  and under that 729 is all I see.

OperaHouse

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 09:19:29 AM »
A D is 400 to 600%. You won't have any issues with those, but emitter resistor will have to be lower value.

ontfarmer

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »
Update  I hooked the wires ABC from the rectifier up to each leg of the turbine.  When I checked the voltage it is only a bit over half as much after going through the  33K resistors.  Ran the wires from the basement upstairs to the computer where the micro will be.

Hooked the wires, resistors, and capacitor from the opto isolator.  Today was strong breeze ( good day for testing ) was getting 2.8 volt from the wire that will be feeding the micro.  Should that be cut back?
The resistors where 721 and 473
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:42:08 PM by ontfarmer »

OperaHouse

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 03:32:20 AM »
2.8V sounds good. When three phase is used the ripple is a lot lower, almost DC.  The voltage can be higher than 2Vwithout an issue.

ontfarmer

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 07:16:03 PM »
Today put sketch on the UNO ( just for practice while waiting on the Nano ) and when I hit verify the error code came up.  " Stray # in program. "
" Relay #4 = 10 "   was highlighted.  I looked and didn't see anything.   If something can go wrong I seem to have the ability to make it happen.

OperaHouse

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
The editor does strange thinge sometimes, but I can't find any line even close to " Relay #4 = 10 ".  Could you give the line before or after that.

ontfarmer

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »
This is where it was highlighted.  I went through again looking for something but didn't see anything.
A/D input = A0
Relay #1  = D3
Relay #2  = D11
Relay #3  = D9   
Relay #4  = D10

OperaHouse

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:19:35 PM »
None of that should be in the program. Delete it.   That was part of the instructions.

ontfarmer

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
 I deleted the instructions.  Now it says ADavg was not declared in this scope.
   The line below is highlighted.

ADavg = ADavg - ADavg/4;          // Subtract average reading

ontfarmer

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 10:33:58 AM »
Went to getting started with a  UNO.    Spent some time going through your postings.  There is a lot
of information there,   It is hard to gain much knowledge when only working with them occasionally.

OperaHouse

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 04:26:14 AM »
Time to start over. Copy from the /* down (including that).  I copied that into a sketch and had no problems.

ontfarmer

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 05:27:24 AM »
I did start over and got it copied, verified and uploaded. What a great feeling when that happened.
Was  late  last night,  will do some testing today.

ontfarmer

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 07:26:41 AM »
Had something strange happen yesterday,  when I plugged the USB cord into the computer a notice came up said it did not recognize the device " UNO " so it blocked it.  ( had just been on this a few minutes before with no problems ) When I clicked on it, Firewall had blocked it.  Could this be causing other problems?

OperaHouse

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »
If internet connected, it may try for updates or further explanations.  Just turn off the wifi or whatever.  I'm still using the first version.  USB of the new NANO may not be recognized if prior was a genuine UNO.  NANO needs to be selected in BOARD of TOOLS.

ontfarmer

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 06:41:30 AM »
These UNO's got on ebay they where under  $10. delivered.  Made in Italy  UNO R3.  This is the one
I had been  practicing on,  had the USB cord connected.  I unplugged it,   later when it was plugged in that is when it said  it wasn't recognized.
I have not received the Nano's yet.

OperaHouse

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »
When you get the NANO, make sure it blinks when plugged into a USB. Everyone seems to have blink installed as a test. I bought at least one where the boot loader was not installed. I could load it in, but at a couple bucks i just picked another one and will probably never get around to it. I can get what seems to be a bad USB connection and it hangs up as unrecognized. I exit Arduino and load in software again.

I suggest you do not use the connector supplied with the NANO.  I've been soldering over 50 years and I can not meke a decent solder connection with them. Just stick a resistor lead through each hole.  Outputs should always have at least a 200 ohm resistor to protect from excess current.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:02:20 AM by OperaHouse »

ontfarmer

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »
Thanks for getting back and the info.  I will check the Nano when it comes.  Been reading about the SSR  probably  FET  would work better for me?

ontfarmer

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
Got the Nano plugged it into the USB and it blinked.  Are you talking about a Nano with the pins being separate?  The one I got has them already soldered on the board,  thought it was one less thing to go wrong.  The FET board came today.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:11:49 PM by ontfarmer »

ontfarmer

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 06:56:45 AM »
I loaded the blink into the Nano,  used getting started with a UNO.  The blink rate changed,  TX,  Rx,
flashed,  changed the delay to 3000.
Then I put the code in,  verify,  and uploaded successfully.

When I hook the wire from the turbine ( 2.6 volt ) to pin AO of the NANO the flash rate doesn't change.   
 When hooked to the UNO the flash rate increases and pins # 3 - 11 are active.  What am I doing wrong?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure you need about 5Vdc on the VIN pin to be able to have it function correctly.

Hope this helps
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ontfarmer

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »
Thanks Bruce     I should have mentioned that it was connected with the USB cable.  Thought that would power it ?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »
It should, but if the power is below the 5V threshold it's probably only going to show that it's on.

IF you're measuring only ~ 2.5V plugged in and trying to runs the pgm; I don't think that's enough to get the programs running and the LEDs lit.
 IF you're connecting other items (wifi, relays &c) then power needs go up.

OperaHouse will have a much better grasp on this one.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

OperaHouse

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
Did you supply 5V power to the opto pin#4,  Measure voltage at A0.  The serial monitor in tools will tell you what the micro is seeing. If no monitor, the program didn't load.

ontfarmer

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 06:08:45 AM »
I brought up the serial monitor  it showed a print out in the four columns. The count started at 255 and then went back to 165.  So the program did load,  I didn't wait long enough before,  for the print out,  it takes a couple of minutes.
I did not supply 5 volts to the opto pin#4.  Will you give me more details about that ?   The  LED blinks at the same rate all the time,   I must not have it programmed right.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:42:02 AM by ontfarmer »

OperaHouse

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 09:05:43 AM »
You appear to be picking up random noise.  Pin #4 goes to 5V on the NANO.   Pin #3 goes to A0 on the NANO.  This also needs a resistor to GND.  That appears not to be there.  If it was, a reading of 250 would be difficult to get.  I would suspect it should be about 1K.  A pot would be useful to adjust this to about 2V normally before it goes into connecting the loads.

ontfarmer

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »
I hooked up the wires  from #4 to 5 volt pin  and  pin #3 to  AO   with a pot and 1k resistor to ground.
Was calm today,  may get to test it tomorrow.

ontfarmer

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 05:45:24 AM »
This morning there is a strong breeze.  The readings are 185 - 190  with column  4 @240 before dropping back to 165.

ontfarmer

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
Time to hook up the Fet board.  I see they are marked " s + - " what does the s stand for?
I thought that one of the pins would connect to the gate of the FET to control it?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:40:17 AM by ontfarmer »

OperaHouse

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 09:15:51 AM »
Send listing of board.  There aren't many appropriate boards out there.