Author Topic: High winds, tornado warnings, lightning  (Read 1471 times)

kitestrings

High winds, tornado warnings, lightning
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
We had the full gamut here over the weekend.  There were widespread power outages in NY, VT, NH, for us starting late Friday/ earlier Sat morning.  Wind speeds topped 75 mph in places.  Many trees uprooted.  Beautiful weather followed even the next day, but down-right scary at times.

We had battened down our turbine (so I thought), and powered down both wind and PV charge controllers.  The turbine was furled and I'd also put the parking brake on which shorts the windings.  Normally I just closed in the load bank, but I figured "better safe than sorry."

For us, we had two trees uprooted, a large Balsam Fir that was scheduled to be cut this summer; parked nicely beside the driveway:
11279-0
Our local lumberjacks:
11280-1

Then there was this one (cedar, also uprooted), that I didn't predict as a danger tree at all.  Too close for comfort:
11281-2

The scary thing for me, if that wasn't enough, was that our furling line broke during the event.  The line wears a bit on the edge of the pulley on the head assembly, and as luck would have it, it broke.  Fortunately the brake held, and all's repaired now:
11282-3
11283-4

kitestrings

Re: High winds, tornado warnings, lightning
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
Looks like the wind blew so much it tipped my camera on its side ;).  Sorry about that.  ~ks

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »
The perspective from the 'mill is still pretty cool!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
I would be planking out that cedar! Love that smell!

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
Looks like you've tied the furling line directly to the ring on the tail.  That means, as the tail swings back-and-forth in normal operation, and the furling line is wiggled by the wind, there is constant wear on the line - in the perfectly worst spot (the center of the bight).  Next time you really need it, expect it to break again.

I'd line the rope bight with a "rope thimble" - a metal liner for a loop.  That way any wear would be metal-on-metal and the rope would be protected from abrasion.

An alternative would be to tie the furling line to a ring through the welded loop, or the loop itself, with an anchor hitch.  (I'd probably follow that by parking the end of the line with a couple half-hitches back around the running line, to keep it from flapping.)  That gives it a grip on the loop and keeps it from sliding around and taking wear (except maybe just when you actually pull it in, in the to-the-welded-loop case).

My wife's boat, in a marina on the Alameda Estuary, has been moored to a ring-through-an-eye with this knot, for years, taking several hearty yanks per minute thanks to Pacific-ocean-derived wave action.  There was no sign of wear (on THAT end) when I finally got around to periodic replacement of the mooring line.  Took a couple minutes to get it untied, though.  Very sturdy knot.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:14:57 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

kitestrings

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
I'd line the rope bight with a "rope thimble" - a metal liner for a loop.  That way any wear would be metal-on-metal and the rope would be protected from abrasion.

Some good thoughts here; and certainly room for improvement.  The eyelet is actually not where the wear is, and not where it broke.

I have thimbles on the bottom end, but my concern here was that if the thimble didn't stay in place it would change the rope length.  The eyelet on the tail is a fairly large diameter cast, or forged I think you would say, 316 SS piece.  It passes from there thru a pulley, like the ones you may have seen on a PTO winch actuator.  I have a greased bushing on the head assembly.  The pulley swivels as the tail pivots through its motion of travel.

There's a 'sash weight' near the tower base that keeps the line taught, but the rope is wearing on the sharp edge of this pulley.  The pull angle is sharpest as it nears the fully furled position, so that is where the tension is highest.  I was thinking that a small tubular rope guide with a flared end might be added to the pulley to eliminate this wear.  Even just filing the edges would help.  The sides of the pulley housing are stamped, square edge sheet metal and quite sharp.

I'll have to look at the anchor hitch... I'm not much of a sailor so this one is not readily in my stock knot-tying bag.  ~ks