Remote Living > Heating

Hot Fill Washing Machines RIP :(

(1/5) > >>

Vortechs:
I live in a remote area and have a micro-hydro electric system with a 2.3KW inverter.

For many years I've run an old Whirlpool front loader washing machine with hot water added from a back boiler or gas water heater.  Recently the washing machine broke and I am unable to get the replacement part for it anywhere in the world as they are now obsolete.

I cannot buy a new machine because in Europe there are no 'Hot Fill' machines available any more. Also I'm told you cannot connect the hot inlet upto the cold fill as it freaks out the onboard computer....

I'm stuck for 2 weeks now with no washing machine!  :(  What do other people do?

joestue:
if you do buy a new one and want to use hot water.. find the temperature sensor and defeat it.

JW:
My washing machine uses hot water from the water heater. There are two water inlets one cold one hot, the machine uses 120vac and will self empty at the end of the cycle. Its a top load machine.

dnix71:
Vortechs In the US most machines are programmed not to fill from just the hot water inlet, but there is no temperature sensor that I know of. I have a compact portable washer that is a normal washing machine, just smaller and with temporary hose connectors for a sink connection. If I wanted to fill from hot water only I would simply turn on the hot water and not the cold. There are also y-hoses available. Connect the y-hose to hot and cold supply, use a double-ended female connector to connect the mix to the machine cold inlet and manually mix whatever you want.

JW:
Little known secret, the hoses and adapters for HVLP Spray guns are compatible with water hose connections. I have actually used convertor adapters from water hose connection to NPT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version