Author Topic: It finally happened  (Read 1746 times)

OperaHouse

It finally happened
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »
I finally designed a system even I don't understand. I plugged an array into the wrong connector after driving all day. I thought it was a 3P and last year I had changed it to a 3S. 60V into the 12V electronics and it burnt up the microprocessor etc. It then took over two hours to figure out where I was supposed to plug things into.  I run strings of four different voltages.  It was all just temporary till the new system was created. Never documented it because it was so simple. I was able to find another micro and carefully wrote down where the wires went.  Then it took an hour to find the pesky little white wire that hid itself.  I had counted the number of pins from each end as to where everything went.  It took forever to figure out this clone had two extra pins than the last one.  The damage will run into the high single figures.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: It finally happened
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
When I write programs I always document them as I go - as if it would be worked on by someone else some day.

One reason is that, if they ever need a fix or upgrade, the version of me that has to do it will be a later rev than the one that wrote it, and won't have all the information "in memory cache" that the version writing it had.  B-)

kitestrings

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:32:29 PM »
At least you guys can theorize, program, design, diagnose, document...I get distracted on my way to the shop picking things up in the yard, and end up forgetting what/why I went out there.  Sometimes I have to come back in and wait for it to come to me.

tinyt

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:58:27 AM »
At least you guys can theorize, program, design, diagnose, document...I get distracted on my way to the shop picking things up in the yard, and end up forgetting what/why I went out there.  Sometimes I have to come back in and wait for it to come to me.
And I thought I am the only one suffering from this.

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 11:24:36 AM »
Well what's the plan for today.....so I write it down..and toss it it in my shirt pocket ..that .and my shopping list..!!!!!   😜
WILD in ALASKA

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 10:17:54 PM »
Sounds like a serious "Senior Moment" there O.H.!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
Getting a bit Nerdy.
Back in the early years of this millennium, there was  a real study done.
It proven that men can only remember 4 things at once, sooooo.
IF you're given more than 4 at once and only 7 things to do in a given day, somethings gotta give.
That's what I tell everyone who asked me why I forgot,,,,, ::)
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:56:02 PM »
Getting a bit Nerdy.
Back in the early years of this millennium, there was  a real study done.
It proven that men can only remember 4 things at once, sooooo.
IF you're given more than 4 at once and only 7 things to do in a given day, somethings gotta give.
That's what I tell everyone who asked me why I forgot,,,,, ::)
The "cardinality" count I recall (from the 60s or so) was 6 to 7.  But that's for what you can think about at the same time / rapidly switch among, without boggling, not for what you can transfer to memory without dropping one of the other plates.