Author Topic: Wind turbines and Geocache  (Read 974 times)

Adriaan Kragten

Wind turbines and Geocache
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:10:50 AM »
My wife and myself are enthusiastic Geocachers. Geocache is a world wide game for which a subject is hidden in the field. The subject can be found if you know the coordinates and if you have a GPS. In every Geocache there is a small book in which you can put your name if you have found it. At home, you log the Geocache on your computer if you have found it. One of the Geocache types is the Mystery for which you have to solve a puzzle about a certain subject to find the cache coordinates. Last year I have made the two Mysteries: "Wind Turbine Theory" and "Wind turbine practice". The description of the Mystery is in Dutch and in English. The cashes are hidden in the small village Boskant, about 15 km north of Eindhoven in the Netherlands. My caches are only accessible for premium members of Geocache.

For Wind Turbine Theory, ten questions have to be answered about my free public report KD 35 which is available in English and in Dutch on my website www.kdwindturbines.nl. Every correct answer gives a number of the coordinates. The cache description contains a checker with which you can check if all answers are correct. At this moment 92 people have logged this Geocache which means that KD 35 can be understood by people who are not specially interested in wind energy but more in Geocache.

For Wind turbine practice, ten questions have to be answered about the folder of the seven free VIRYA-designs and about the technical drawings of every wind turbine which are incorporated in the free manuals or KD-reports. The folder is available in English and in Dutch but the manuals and the drawings are only in English. At this moment 70 people have logged this geocache but Wind turbine practice was placed some months later than Wind Turbine Theory.

By making these two geocaches, probably more people have studied wind energy in one year than wind energy enthusiasts did this in the three years since this information is available on my website. The two puzzles can be solved by any premium member of Geocache all over the world and if you did so, your knowledge of wind turbines will have increased a lot. But to log the geocache, you have to visit my village Boskant in the Netherlands. If you do so, you are invited to visit my home and drink a cup of coffee.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Wind turbines and Geocache
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:46:37 AM »
This pretty cool.
Our daughter got hooked on doing these during an extended stay up in Montana (was working with forestry to rebuild).
She's gone onto doing a few of these around our state. Her's is geared towards wildlife and native plants.

While I don't have plans in the near future to visit EU, I have in the past visited the Netherlands a lot! The Velomobile I helped get batteries for was from a shop in Amsterdam.

Drove up from Brussels, was a beautiful drive each time. I was impressed that even back in 2009 they had solar panels lining the highway.

Cheers to you
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Wind turbines and Geocache
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »
Great idea.  Back in my day, it was called "orienteering".  :)
Why just run?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca