Author Topic: Inverter fans not working  (Read 1702 times)

fabieville

Inverter fans not working
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:57:45 AM »
I have a Reliable brand 24v 3000watt 120vac pure sinewave inverter and I realize that the fans are not coming on.
It comes with (2) 24v fans and I test them recently and they are working perfectly but the inverter circuit somehow is not triggering them when it gets hot or reach a certain temperature. I have seen the inverter gets so hot that it automatically cuts off the output to prevent damage from occurring. I read on the net that the inverter fans comes in at 45 degree celcius but I passed that rating lots of time and yet no fan comes on.

In the meantime I have connect the fans straight so that when the inverter turns on they come on same time but they are so loud and I don't wish to have this as a permanent setup. I am hoping someone can tell me what I can do to repair the issue so that the circuit will trigger the fans at the appropriate temperature range or is there some other alternative means of getting the fans to come on at a certain temp range using the internal/default heat sensing ntc resistor? or even a different ntc resistor?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Inverter fans not working
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
Can you reach the heat sinks (where temp sensors would be placed) through the case without removing it?
Could you take readings with a laser-thermometer while it's running?
If not, do you have some other temperature sensor that you can secure to the heat sink?

Then, apply some heavy loads, and measured the temperature of the heat sinks with the laser thermometer while it heated up
If that was possible, and you could measure multiple points on the heat sinks, you could find the spot that gets the hottest fastest, then put your own temp sensor there.

Dallas DS18B20 is very popular and suitable for all sorts of controls.  There are a million other choices, of course.

The hottest part of the heat sink, getting as hot as it should get when the inverter is under full load, with your fans on, is one set point for that temp sensor.  The fans MUST be ON at this temperature.  Be sure that you're measuring the hottest temperature that won't cause a FET meltdown like you had last month.

Next, test that spot on the heat sink, with your fans OFF.  Obviously you need to turn the power down.  Find the steady-state power load that stays below the safe temperature (that you found before) while the fans remain off.  Now turn the fans back on, keeping that low power level.   This should cool the heat sink down.  Once it's cooled down to a steady temperature, this is the LOW set point.  The fans must turn ON if the temperature is above this level.  They may turn off below this temperature.

Program your Arduino accordingly.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

fabieville

Re: Inverter fans not working
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:14:17 AM »
I decided that a thermo switch would be a solution to the issue.

Here is a nice digital one that I found. The only issue is that the range starts from 50 degree Celsius and cannot start below that.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-220V-Digital-LED-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Control-Switch-Probe/232605014144?hash=item362856d880:m:mhpeM-VQRT2Ty6YNyvzEn5g

Would a starting point at 50 degree celsius be ok  and not cause a thermal meltdown of the fets or the other parts inside of the inverter?