Author Topic: GFCI Keeps Inverter Awake  (Read 2981 times)

armadillo

GFCI Keeps Inverter Awake
« on: July 19, 2018, 12:59:47 PM »
Wiring my house right now. I noticed the GFCI has a tiny LED light to show it's functional. I checked around the net and it seems all GFCI's have a parasitic load. Is this true? Is there a way to have GFI protection without running the inverter 24/365? There is no permit required here in the wilderness, so not having GFI protection is also an option, but would rather have it.

joestue

Re: GFCI Keeps Inverter Awake
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »
the load might be negligible. less than 1 watt.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:37:56 PM »
joestue "the load might be negligible. less than 1 watt. "

Nope. The GFCI load is small, but keeping a big inverter awake isn't a small load.

If your inverter and the GFCI aren't grounded the right way, a GFCI made for grid use may not work anyway.

Simple solution is to use the GFCI test switch to disable the GFCI unless you are using that circuit.

armadillo

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »
Thanks Dnix71.

joestue

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 11:50:57 PM »
Better not leave your cellphone charger plugged in?

For what its worth the older gfcis might have less power consumption. Its only the newer units with the led that i have actually felt a small amount of heat from.

Or just raise the setpoint on the minimum load to shut the inverter off.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 12:47:08 AM »
Or just break and remove the LED.  B-)

You can tell what the GFCI's up to by looking at the position of the reset button.  Paint its sides red to make it more visible.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
Or just break and remove the LED.  B-)
The GFCI has a circuit that is monitoring current in and out. An LED wouldn't pull enough current to keep an inverter awake.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3257947  here is a long thread from some guys looking to cut their electric bills and eliminate phantom loads.
Also:
http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/forum/jlc-online-expert-forums/the-electric-shop/49110-afci-gfci-power-consumption

From a thread here http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=154652 a Leviton GFCI uses 0.9 tripped and 1.1 set and ready, so you can't actually disable it without installing a switch upstream to cut the hot lead. A 1.1 watt load should not be enough to cause a large inverter to go from idle/seeking to active.

armadillo

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can get the inverter to idle with GFCI active.

I use a car cigarette adapter downstream of a 24 VDC to 12 VDC step down transformer to charge my cell phone, so it's not in series with the inverter.

richhagen

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 12:49:17 AM »
I'm of the notion that putting a light switch to switch on the GFCI outlet might be a very good suggestion from dnix71 as that way the parasitic load is gone unless you want to use that circuit.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 07:11:21 AM »
I use a car cigarette adapter downstream of a 24 VDC to 12 VDC step down transformer to charge my cell phone, so it's not in series with the inverter.

Most eBay / dollar store type lighter to charging cable adapters are rated for 24v.
Some have stickers that say "12-24v". I couldn't tell any difference inside from those or the not stickered ones.
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller