Author Topic: Matching a few new panels to old panels on same mppt charge controller?  (Read 2573 times)

jenkinswt

I purchased 10 - 250 watt sharp solar panels probably 4-5 years ago. They are 60 cell panels and I have them wired 2 in series. Anyways on hot days its not ideal as the voltage isn't high enough. I use a midnite charge controller and often see "input lower than output" in summer. I almost forgot, I am charging a 48 volt bank.

I'm currently moving them off of a temporary wooden rack (temporary like 1 1/2 years now) to the roof and I will be wiring 3 in series which leaves with an extra panel I can't use. Wired this way I could technically wire 18 panels up.........if I had them. Not having any luck finding 250 watt panels, their all smaller or a lot bigger. I've found some Canadian Solar 270 watt panels priced decently within driving distance and it looks like their pretty similar voltages, amps, etc. Their also 60 cell and poly like mine. Now I know my 250 watt panels will hold these back from producing their full power but was wondering what the experts thought about this arrangement?

Here's my Sharp Panels:

voc - 37.35
isc - 9.03
vmp - 29.98
imp - 8.34

Here's the Canadian Solar Panels:

voc - 37.9
isc - 9.32
vmp - 30.8
imp - 9.75

Now that I write this I'm confused as the numbers seem backwards from one panel brand to the other.  Here's a pic of the label from one panel to another. I also know that as my existing panels have aged their probably not putting out what the tag says so I don't know if any of you have added to an existing charger or if you added another charger instead. I don't really want to add a second charge controller as their pretty pricey.

joestue

substantially identical panels, connect them however you want.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

jenkinswt

Good to know, I'm leaning towards getting 8 of them if I can swing it. Thanks for your help!

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
close enough I wouldn't worry about it.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

jenkinswt

Re: Matching a few new panels to old panels on same mppt charge controller?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
Well by the time I had figured everything out on those panels they were gone but I actually got a better deal on very similar 275 watt canadian solar panels. The cool thing was I didn't have to make a road trip & shipping was probably less than I paid to drive for my last panels. I just finished up and have all 18 panels on the shed roof! I'm quite excited and anxious to see what it does on a full sunny day or a cloudy day as far as that goes, we just had the longest rainy, cloudy stretch I can remember for this time of year.

Before flipping the breaker on the new string of 9 (well actually 8 new plus 1 old) there was 1200ish watts coming in, after flipping it on there was 2700ish watts so It doesn't appear its holding the new panels back too much being all tied together. The only problem I can see now is I should get a bigger or a second hot water heater for sunny days. Thanks again to the quick answers on matching these up. This forum is great!