Author Topic: I've gone over to the dark side  (Read 2521 times)

OperaHouse

I've gone over to the dark side
« on: August 25, 2018, 01:23:14 PM »
A product launch on ebay has gone well and I'm flush with paypal money since the product has over 100 times markup. Now to me paypal money isn't real and I've been on a buying spree, stuff I normally wouldn't buy. Since there hasn't been any interest in building DIY controllers, the plan now is to make a more conventional looking system. I bought a 40A MakeSkyBlue controller for my 60V grid tie panels. Wanted to see if it actually work well with my water heater controller.  It seems fine with the water heater. It doesn't play well with all the other charge controllers under micro control.

Bought an additional 520W of grid tie panels and these are permanently mounted on the roof.  Cheap enough that I don't care if I have to replace one every three years due to a branch falling.  I'm getting to old to be dragging panels in and out. So this makes 2,000W into a 500W controller.  Should be interesting.

OperaHouse

Re: I've gone over to the dark side
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
So far this MakeSkyBlue is driving me nuts.  I used to have a system that I could leave for a week without any worries.  This has sent the refrigerator inverter into fault a half dozen times. This is on the auxiliary panels that are not even needed on normal days I'm afraid to leave further than earshot from the power shed.  Has a nasty habit of dragging the 60V panels down to 19V and not recovering till the refrigerator turns off. I'm not impressed with their MPPT algorithm.   This is why I prefer to run MPPC on the rest of the system.  This is going to take a couple weeks to figure out. Right now I have it disconnected.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: I've gone over to the dark side
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »
A product launch on ebay has gone well and I'm flush with paypal money since the product has over 100 times markup. Now to me paypal money isn't real and I've been on a buying spree, stuff I normally wouldn't buy.

Don't buy TOO much stuff. Paypal money is very real to the tax man.