Author Topic: Looks like more than a pipe dream!  (Read 3485 times)

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Looks like more than a pipe dream!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:54:15 AM »
sounds like a break through . wonder what the cloud does. not a big fan of the cloud.

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
Think of the size hearing aid that fits in!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »
Dropped them an email to see if they are going to sell to the small solar market and if so what kind of pricing per kwh are they talking.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »
That's very good news. Maybe.

The guy behind this battery technology is Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong. He was born in South Africa, now lives in LA, California. Like Elon Musk, also born in South Africa, the man has a brilliant mind. But judging by the information on the Web, this battery technology is only a small part of his interests. His main interests are in health and what can be done using the power of the Internet, smart phones and apps to deal with health issues. About 9 years ago, he sold 2 drug companies for over $8 billion. That could be a clue as to where his interests lie. Not to say that health is not important.

This zinc-air battery technology has been proven and according to the website NantEnergy-dot-com, is being used in many areas in Asia and Africa.

It would be great if he decided to mass produce these batteries and sell them to the public. I see little chance of that anytime soon. But at least we know that the technology exists and maybe some other Company would start producing them.

In my opinion, energy storage is the weakest link of any “home-made” energy generating system. I think that for years we've waited for a better battery technology to replace lead, gel or lithium with something that is safer, easy to maintain and cheaper. I'm not sure that this zinc-air is the answer, but there are others formulations being developed. I think there will be a breakthrough before too long.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »
response form them

"Thank you for your interest in NantEnergy solutions. Currently we are only offering our systems through strategic partnerships and are not selling individual solutions directly to the public. We will keep you on file and contact you when our distribution channels open directly to the public.

Kind Regards,

Christy Maslen"

westerly

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 03:07:12 PM »
Sorry if this might divert the topic slightly, but does anyone have experience with Aquion batteries. The Nova program "Search for the super battery" presented such a compelling story for cost, availability, simplicity, scalabilty, etc. that I thought it might be a possible DIY project. Does anyone know how well it performed long term? I see they are up again after BK so their full story needs some filling in. Thanks if you can elaborate  ???

hiker

• BIG DOG
WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
WILD in ALASKA

justinbowser

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 10:19:14 PM »
response form them

"Thank you for your interest in NantEnergy solutions. Currently we are only offering our systems through strategic partnerships and are not selling individual solutions directly to the public. We will keep you on file and contact you when our distribution channels open directly to the public.

Kind Regards,

Christy Maslen"

I have bounced a few e-mails back and forth and the last response (to the need for a good off-grid solution) I got a few days ago was "Hoping to offer a solution in the near future!"  I hope this was not to just get me to "go away" for a while...

Regards,

Justin B.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 01:03:49 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Justin.

I think that if these Companies have a smart marketing department, they will pay attention to the inquiries they get. If enough of us would contact them, they might realize that there is market for their batteries from the RE community. Demand compels supply. I'm going to contact them too.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

justinbowser

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »
I agree, Ed.  If they don't see any demand they will likely not think it worth the gamble...