Author Topic: Thermodyne systems watt meter problem  (Read 1821 times)

fabieville

Thermodyne systems watt meter problem
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:41:50 PM »
I have (2) Thermodyne systems watt meter 180A peak and and they were working perfectly for almost 1 year now but recently i realized that they are giving some problems. The (2) of them is giving the same exact issue and the issue started without no warning. There was not any short circuit or overload on the meters or nothing happen that would suggest the reason for the issue. Also the (2) of them were connected to (2) different independent systems.
I am wondering if it is a factory fault seeing that the (2) of them is exhibiting the same issues/symptoms?

The issue is that i have one connected to a 24v battery system that is pulling current from a 500watt 24v solar system and the other is connected to my 24 ebike and normally they would display the battery voltage and the amount of current and wattage that is coming from the solar or pulling from the battery on the ebike for the other one but now it is always showing 0V,
0 wattage and 200A coming in and the time is max at 99.99. Even when there is no load on the system it is still showing 200A being draw at 0V. How can this be? is it the shunt that needs to be replaced. If yes what shunt size would be the best to buy?
If not how can i resolve this issue?
I try to reset the watt meter by disconnecting and reconnecting but no luck so far and it comes with 3 pins on the side, i try to shorts 2 and 3 of them to clear the system but nothing happens.

Please help me out someone. I anxiously await your support.

Here is a link for it.
https://www.amazon.com/POWER-Meter-HEAVY-Solar-Turbines/dp/B016LGLALE

richhagen

Re: Thermodyne systems watt meter problem
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:45:53 AM »
Does this unit use a separate internal lithium battery to power the unit or does it draw its power solely from your battery bank?  If it has a separate battery, you may want to take it out  of your system and check the device with a good battery or separate power supply to see if that could be the problem.  The fact that it is showing intelligible numbers probably means that the microprocessor is not fried, so it is likely some other issue.   I see that similar items are sold under a variety of brand names and that it appears that these can work with or without an auxiliary battery, if you are using one, I would check that first. 
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:45:37 PM »
Thats a brave man that puts 180A thru those.  I use a lot of the 100A version and modify them so they will only work with external power. I have had several regulators fail and prefer to add extra protection.  When I researched these years ago, a common complaint was the wires would unsolder from high current. That would give the results you are seeing.  Do you have continuity of the black wires?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
I have had intermittent failures of their products, too. They would self-heal for a while but then just quit. I suspect an electrolytic cap as the culprit.