Author Topic: Winter storage for solar batteries  (Read 2641 times)

DenverDave

• Water Wheel Water Pumps - facebook group
Winter storage for solar batteries
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:09:34 PM »
The summer is over and the 2 six volt golf cart batteries and 2 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries have been brought home to the city from their remote location in the Colorado mountains.   Now I'm wondering what to do with them for the winter.   Our garage is not insulated and while they may not actually freeze, it gets close.    I could keep them on our living room wall, but I might get flak over that.   

I was going to store them in our basement laundry room, but I've started wondering if the hydrogen that may be given off when I maintain the charge might be a fire hazard, since they will be fairly close to our gas hot water heater.    Also, we have a bedroom in the basement and want to avoid noxious fumes.

Anyone else looked into safety concerns of storing their solar batteries and maintaining the charge inside their homes for the winter?

Thanks.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Winter storage for solar batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:01:36 PM »
So long as they are charged they will not freeze unles seriously cold!

"A 100 percent fully charged battery will not freeze until approximately -76 degrees Fahrenheit. A fully discharged battery can freeze at or around 32 degrees,"

http://usbattery.com/winter-storage-maintenance-tips-flooded-lead-acid-batteries/

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_DeepCycleBatteryStorage_0512.pdf

Google (Or other search engine) is your friend: "What temp does a car battery freeze"
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 04:51:58 AM »
FWIW I keep my gel 12V batteries in use through the winter in an unheated shed in London UK, which means that they are operating down into the single-digits C, ie just above freezing (at reduced capacity).

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Rob Beckers

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »
The bigger risk is not freezing (if they have some charge) but actually irreversible sulphating.

Over here (Canada, gets nippy in winter) I tell customers they have two choices for their lead-acid batteries in cottages over the winter (assuming they don't want to haul them out). If there are solar panels that will occasionally see sun (i.e. at an angle steep enough to shed snow) then disconnect everything from those batteries but the charge controller. That will keep them charged and happy for as long as it takes (5 months here).

If the panels are likely snowed in for the winter, then I advise that they make sure their batteries have a full 100% charge. That part is important: It means going through a full absorb cycle, possible even doing an equalize to make sure they're topped up completely. Then disconnect everything. They'll sit like that for 5 months and bounce back in spring with a few charge cycles. Many have followed this and so far it has worked very well.

There's something else that helps as well; the low temperatures in winter slow down the chemistry (of self-discharging and sulphating). Making it easier for batteries to sit for long period without damage.

If there is a choice I do suggest to people to put their batteries inside, so they follow the average temperatures (of -20's Centigrade) rather than the nightly extremes (of -30's Centigrade or below).

By the way, hydrogen gas is a non-issue. Batteries only gas when they are being charged and the charging Voltage exceeds a certain threshold. On top of that, even if you were to store them inside and let them gas while charging you'd pretty much never reach an explosive mixture of oxygen-hydrogen. It's near impossible to contain hydrogen to that extend, it's a very small molecule that rises and escapes through the most minute openings (of which there are plenty in the average house). I've never heard of a hydrogen explosion due to a battery bank, other than in the battery itself (blowing the top off, we've had a few of those). Of course, if you have a battery bank indoors while in use, I do very much suggest to put them in a vented battery box! The smell alone while charging will convince you that's a good idea!

There's an oddity we found with indoor battery banks and hydrogen: Your average carbon-monoxide alarm is much more sensitive to the small amounts of hydrogen escaping from the batteries (even if they are in a vented battery box) than they are to carbon-monoxide! For very air-tight homes we've had to direct-vent the battery box and gasket the lid to keep the CO-detector from going off.

-RoB-

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
I've never bought a battery because I didn't wan to leave it even with a small charger 7 months over winter. Years ago I bought a new "blem" Interstate battery for my car. It was dirt cheap and these are batteries that sat for a year on a shelf waiting to be sold.  That died a year and a half later. So, I'm snake bit on letting a battery sit unused. Instead I've designed a system around using a car battery from a vehicle I don't bring with me for 5 months. I seem to get about the same life out of them. It was an experiment and I was able to live better than those with five times the battery. As cost is not an issue I'm thinking of going lithium.

DenverDave

• Water Wheel Water Pumps - facebook group
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »
Thanks to all for the information.   I'm relieved about the hydrogen not generally being a hazard.  The temperatures are expected to reach 21 tonight here in the city, so I'm glad I moved the 4 batteries into the back hallway from the van where they have been sitting for a month.

I have two situations. 

(1) The current 4 batteries from two camping trailers that will sit idle for the next 7 to 8 months in the Colorado mountains that I brought back to the city.  I should be able to figure out a safe place to store them inside and put a battery maintainer on them.   A neighbor had a 4 wheeler where the battery was fine over the winter in the mountains, but seems like asking for trouble.  So a bit of a hassle to move the 4 batteries x 70 lbs a piece, but did it.  Might in future years experiment with trying to keep a couple of older ones charged over the winter in the mountains.   Not as cold as it used to be, but can reach minus 30 F.

(1) I've been using the camping trailer solar panels and batteries as a way to learn about solar power.  An other project is to pump water out of a creek to irrigate 4 acres or so of meadow.   Remote location - no grid electricity, have done it, but awkward to run gasoline pumps.   My current plan is to attempt this with a water wheel pump in the creek.   But I would like to benchmark with solar approaches and may possibly end up with a combination.    I hadn't considered what to do with a possibly larger number of batteries over the winter.   I'm also not sure the batteries for irrigation are completely necessary - possibly pump more water when the sun is shining and none when darker rather than even out the pumping with batteries.   However, the pumps may need minimum watts so perhaps more total water pumped with the batteries.    Anyway, back to the issue - wonder what to do with the solar batteries over the winter
- maybe a shed that protects and not the best area for passive heating (tends to be hazzy), but might improve on minus 30 F.    If others are interested in pumping water for irrigation in off grid situations - please take a look at the public facebook group Water Wheel Pumps (hopefully can find with at search).

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »
My solar battery bank is in a bench in my living room. Vented, has a small 20cfm fan that pushes air in to force it out the vent

jenkinswt

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
Rob Beckers, we experienced the CO Detector going off as well in our old "Cabin" The only time it happened was when we ran a generator for long periods at night because we were running an air conditioner. At our current home we finally have everything out in a large building.

Denver Dave, I would think the unheated garage would work fine, maybe on a workbench or somewhere out of the way and put your battery maintainer on it. I'm not sure if they would sulphate on float for long periods like that though?