Author Topic: Panel Damage---cause??  (Read 2339 times)

adobejoe

Panel Damage---cause??
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:25:24 PM »
Looking at buying these 300 watt panels but something went whacky. Glass is not cracked but there are these traces showing through the cells.  He says the voltage is good, but I will also check current. What would cause this?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Panel Damage---cause??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 11:31:24 PM »
Can't really see in those pics, but could the traces be harmless "snail trails"?

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 11:55:35 PM »
Did you pop the wiring terminal cover off and look for evidence of lightning? I've seen threaded tunnels 5-7mm across blasted through panel-back box silicone encapsulation w/ diodes still good and output normal... On that panel it pushed the deep blue color into more a metallic chrome look.

Funny those patterns look to fit someones shoe size too...

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:04:04 AM »
I accidentally pushed on one of mine with my knee putting it up.  It looks like that.  They are snail trails. 

Those panels have a lot of them.  They would have to be pretty cheap for me to but them.  They can also be caused by wind, vibration, hail etc. 

adobejoe

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »
Thanks for replies. I will likely test both voltage and current on a few and inspect a little closer. He has 21 of them, 300 watt. I may offer $25-30 each depending on what i find. They might be okay for smaller off grid apps..but I do not think I would use on a grid tied.

adobejoe

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:41:26 PM »
Half my panels have them from high winds and hail(surprised I haven't lost a panel!). With 95mph winds once this summer, numerous t-storm winds over 65mph and now winter winds coming they take a beating...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »
I would check the back and see of the backing is all wrinkled up, but I believe that pattern is actually between the cells and the cover glass, not the backing layer.
If I could get a decent voltage on each of them, I would pay money for them. 
Good luck!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca