Author Topic: Help with Schottky Diodes  (Read 1823 times)

plasmahunt3r

Help with Schottky Diodes
« on: November 04, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »
I bought a package of 45v 15a Schottky Diodes.  When I test them using the diode selection on a meter, they show to be working.  However, when I test them by applying a reverse voltage to them, they pass that voltage through.  They are not blocking reverse voltage.  Is this a characteristic of Schottky diodes, where they might block current and not voltage?  Is there a trick to using Schottky Diodes?  As a blocking diode, they don't seem to work right. 

Usually, standard low voltage silicon diodes have a leakage voltage of around  .06 -.2v.  Higher voltage silicon diodes (like 600V) have much higher leakage voltages, so I don't buy them for wind and solar applications.  These Schottky diodes leak almost full voltage applied.

I did test the Schottky Diode with a 12v LED string.  When blocking, is did pass full battery voltage, but the current was so little, the LED's barely lit.  Schottky seems to be blocking current, not voltage. 

Since I have an amp meter, I did two test.

Test A:  Using the LED string, for the Schottky forward biased, it used .03a, and when the Schottky is blocking, my meter didn't register any current.  A little current did pass to produce very dim light, but now enough to register on my amp meter.

Test B:  I did a second test using a 20 OHM resistor load.  For the Schottky forward biased, the current used was .59a.  When the Schottky is blocking, my amp meter didn't register any current.

These test seem to verify the current blocking aspect of Schottky, but not any voltage blocking.  These restrictions limit how I can use Schottky diodes.  They are not drop in replacements for Silicon Diodes in circuits.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:01:40 PM by plasmahunt3r »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Help with Schottky Diodes
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 03:07:22 PM »
What is the number on the diode body? I can verify what it is.

And if they came from China... well a lot of fakes...

plasmahunt3r

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
15SQ045  PEC10.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »
Specs look good per the data sheet... they will have reverse leakage current of .5ma or so when cold... you shouldn't see full batt voltage though so something isn't right

joestue

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
Specs look good per the data sheet... they will have reverse leakage current of .5ma or so when cold... you shouldn't see full batt voltage though so something isn't right

with a 10M ohm input impedance volt meter, you will read nearly full battery voltage if the resistance of the diode is less than 1M ohm

given that op can actually light up an led with the diode reversed, they might be crappy diodes or.. that's just how efficient the leds are these days. most dmms can accurately read 0-200uA and 0-2mA, so its worth actually measuring the reverse leakage current.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

plasmahunt3r

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »
Thanks Mary B.  My amp meter is in hundredths of an amp, so .005a would not register on my meter but would still power the LED string dimly.  So that part works correctly.   It is easy to test Schottky diodes for voltage with just a Diode, a Battery, and a Meter.  I would be interested to see if other people get similar results.

Current blocking is still good for solar panel use.  A .005 drain on my battery for a 12 hour night would cause a loss of .06a, which is an acceptable loss.  I cannot use Schottky in Transistor or MOSFET controller circuits, because the reverse voltage would turn them on from the wrong side.