Author Topic: Energy storage through kinetic energy  (Read 2367 times)

justinbowser

Energy storage through kinetic energy
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:26:20 PM »
I wonder if something like this could scale down and work for an off-grid residence/cabin?

Can't figure out how to post a link so check out energyvault<dot>ch

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Energy storage through kinetic energy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 05:00:52 PM »
Hi Justin,

We have a stop gap measure, no user may post links until 20 posts. This does two things 1. Mods don't have to watch the forum 24 hours a day. I don't want reveal any subnuclonic measures but No it does not last/stay forever and you will be able post links.

justinbowser

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:46:13 PM »
Understand...

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:52:51 AM »
fly wheel type storage needs to be big to be useful, so scaling down makes it useless imo.

I'll all so state NOT ENERGY STORAGE it is just energy smoothing, it burns excess production at fairly high loss  to use during peaks to smooth it out from the point of view of the generator.

Worthless for off grid living, but useful for utility scale coal burning plant
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:19:33 AM by XeonPony »
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:42:30 PM »
XeonPony This one is actually storage. It uses concrete lifted by cables against gravity. Like clocks of old that used a chain weight to power the clock. I don't think it passes the "smell" test. Pumped storage of water works because of the height and mass of a lake of water.  That much concrete would take up too much space. An amount that could be safely raised and lowered by a tower wouldn't last long enough to be practical. It's too easy to do. If it actually would work in a practical safe fashion it would already be done.

joestue

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 10:17:48 PM »
XeonPony This one is actually storage. It uses concrete lifted by cables against gravity. Like clocks of old that used a chain weight to power the clock. I don't think it passes the "smell" test. Pumped storage of water works because of the height and mass of a lake of water.  That much concrete would take up too much space. An amount that could be safely raised and lowered by a tower wouldn't last long enough to be practical. It's too easy to do. If it actually would work in a practical safe fashion it would already be done.

Somewhere we acquired two rolls of stainless steel cable, 1000 feet long. takes up about an 8 inch diameter spool 4 inches thick, safe working load probably 300 pounds, breaking strength on the order of 700-900 pounds. my folks live on the side of a gully/creek recently been classified as a salmon stream for which it isn't.

Anyhow, the sides of the creek are about a 45 degree slope. so we actually discussed getting 200 feet of angle iron and making a rail track up the side of the creek, and run the cable back and forth 10 times. could load the "train" with 4000 pounds of rocks. neglecting the losses.. could store all of a tenth of a kilowatt hour. practical power density/capacity, on the order of 15 minutes at 400 watts.

at 1 cent per trip worth of stored power, need to move up and down the hill about 100,000 times to pay back the investment, or 54 years at 5 trips per day.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »

I'd work for peak shaving, but not practical storage, and even then not best system for peak shaving, they have a flymass system that is way better for that that I have seen, pricey and complex but effective for what it was intended to do
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!