Author Topic: unidentified noise  (Read 1051 times)

kitestrings

unidentified noise
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »
Following the summer slumber with our turbine - we have it furled for a good chunk of the summer - I was frustrated to find we had a new noise.  Generally no new noise is good noise.  This was a audible mechanical clicking, or snapping occurring at less than a one per rev frequency a bit over cut-in, and growing in intensity as the rotor speed increased.

After ruling out any obvious contact points, I started to focus on the end play of the bearings.  It wasn't huge, but I could feel a minor movement when flexing a blade toward, then away from the tower.  After waiting through some good early fall winds, we (my son & I) finally got a day where the weather worked.  We pulled the blades and inspected the (accessible) outer bearing cone and race.  I packed the bearing with grease and re-torqued, following Timken's instructions for a target of .001"-.005".

Done with this step, the noise was noticeably better, but not gone.  There was one other thing I learned though...  The last couple of times I had tried to grease the bearings it seemed to take a lot of force and it was questionable how much went where intended.  I had thought that the chamber was full and, if the grease cap were full, perhaps it was just hard to push by the seal.  What I found, in fact, was the cap was empty.  Next I tried my BIG grease gun, with lots of force this time.  It was plugged solid.  I'd brought a mini-torch up with me, but couldn't bring myself to put an open flame on it given the limited access.  And, what if it caught.  I don't own a grease ram.

You can see in the photos where I'd removed the straight, stock zerk and installed an angled fitting when we built.  I then added an access hole just large enough for the grease coupling.
11523-0

It's at about 10:00 in this photo:
11524-1

This allowed me to grease it, but there really was no access to remove the fitting from the hub casting; not without disassembly.

Then I looked at a spare fitting that I had, and noticed that it was not a single piece, but rater two-pieces with the ball section taper threaded into the angled body of the fitting.

A 1/4"-drive deep-well cleared the access hole and I was able to remove it.  I ran a small wire through the orifice in the casting wall and out came a fair amount of dry, opaque grease residue.  After reinstalling the new zerk I could now freely pump life into the thing.  It made a HUGE difference on removing the noise, and we're back to at least the normal noise(s).  Fooosh, fooosh, buzzz.

I small win that the zerk was made as it was - and I wish I could say that I planned this - but I think we'll take pure luck this time.  ~ks

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: unidentified noise
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
Good to hear that it worked out ok. Those xerk fittings cn be a pain to remove when access is near impossible.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: unidentified noise
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:16 PM »
Whether by luck or by genius, if it works, I'll take it.  Enjoy the quiet.  Hum if you know the words.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca