Author Topic: thinking of powering my well by solar  (Read 2880 times)

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
thinking of powering my well by solar
« on: December 04, 2018, 04:02:25 AM »
 Sometime soon I am going to hook my well back up to me water tower. Since my per min/ hour flow rate requirement is low as is also the production rate of the well.
 Since my array is currently packed away and not being used I got to thinking a 12v submersible well pump might be better than trying to choke down a 120 or 240vac pump to meet this requirement.
 Here is the idea
 buy a 12v pump 200 ft head cap. the well is only 60 ft deep but I want to push the water through the 300 lb sand/ charcoal swimming pool filter before allowing it into a storage tank at the well. shutting the pump off with a float valve sw. Then use a 2nd pump with a pressure sw to pump the water up to my tower 400 feet away and 30 ft higher in elevation. use a float valve in the storage tank in the tower so when it is closed the pressure will build up and shut the transfer pump off.
 I could possibly even install 1 of my inverters at the array and battery bank which would be located at the well then use my existing overhead line to connect from my inverter directly to teh electrical in my tower.
 What do you guys think? practical or not
 My inverter is 12v 1800 watt with a 3900 watt 10 sec overload the pump in the tower takes 3000 w start up 1000 w run @ 50 PSI but I have it set @ 45 PSI shut off with a 25 PSI start @ 2400 Watts
 my array is 1100 w my bank currently is small only 440 AH @ 12 V
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

bigrockcandymountain

Re: thinking of powering my well by solar
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »
Very doable i think.  I have a pressure system running off a solar pump.  Its 48v but there are 12v models. 

It has a total dynamic head of 150 ft and runs off 500w of panel.  Waters 60 head of cows so 600 gal per day. 

madlabs

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 11:55:30 PM »
I have a 24V Sun pump down my well. It has been great.

https://www.sunpumps.com/ProductGroups/Home%20Water%20Systems

It's been down there about 10 years. I had another name brand one down there that i can't remember the name of, Shureflow maybe? Anyway, that one was trouble and you couldn't replace the brushes!

Frank S

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 12:48:09 AM »
I have a 24V Sun pump down my well. It has been great.

https://www.sunpumps.com/ProductGroups/Home%20Water%20Systems

It's been down there about 10 years. I had another name brand one down there that i can't remember the name of, Shureflow maybe? Anyway, that one was trouble and you couldn't replace the brushes!
Thanks madlabs; I can go with 24v as I have a 24v 60 amp charge controller but if I do then the option of using my inverter to power my water tower is off the table as my inverters are 12v I have 2  1800 watt dimensions inverters.  A tech from dimensions once told me that the DC side of them can be connected in series to a 24c system. I would have 2 120 v outputs but not 240v split phase but I could have 230 v output by connecting the common of 1 to the power leg of the other then using the remaining leads as 230 v single phase. I don't know this to be true or not, I have not found in any of the literature for these inverters that mentions this trick.  but I don't have a need for 230 V any more  unless it was split phase. Neither would I want to have 1 inverter carrying all of my 120v load while the other was just idle just to be able to connect to a 24 v bank.
 Also having duel DC voltage is not really doable on such a small bank.
 So I either stick with 12 v for now or go with 24 and not have an inverter connected.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 01:34:22 PM »
they can, if they have a control cable that connects the two inverters so they are always in phase.

Frank S

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:45:42 PM »
they can, if they have a control cable that connects the two inverters so they are always in phase.
The guy mentioned something about on the board there was a connection I had to add a wire from 1 to the other. but I forgot what he had told me

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
push the water through the 300 lb sand/ charcoal swimming pool filter before allowing it into a storage tank at the well. shutting the pump off with a float valve sw. Then use a 2nd pump with a pressure sw to pump the water up to my tower 400 feet away

You can gravity the flow thru the filter and not worry about the extra head, if you use that second "high service" pump; save on capacity and power with the  pump down the hole

Might be an ideal application for the "Simple Pump". They offer a solar scotch yoke driver

http://www.simplepump.com/

Turtle
soli deo gloria

Frank S

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 12:02:44 AM »
push the water through the 300 lb sand/ charcoal swimming pool filter before allowing it into a storage tank at the well. shutting the pump off with a float valve sw. Then use a 2nd pump with a pressure sw to pump the water up to my tower 400 feet away

You can gravity the flow thru the filter and not worry about the extra head, if you use that second "high service" pump; save on capacity and power with the  pump down the hole

Might be an ideal application for the "Simple Pump". They offer a solar scotch yoke driver

http://www.simplepump.com/

Turtle
While gravity flow through a 300 lb sand filter with a 30 to 50 lb charcoal secondary filter is an option the the flow rate by gravity through a filter configuration of this size is usually limited to around 3 to 6 gallons per hour. This in itself is not a bad thing it just requires a storage tank above and below the filter also doable. then the water can be pumped up to the tower as needed all this can be set up on an automatic system easily enough.
 Simple pumps  are really nothing more than modern windmill type pumps with a shorter stroke. Adding a scotch yolk driven by a solar powered gear reduction motor is also a modern version of the old pump jacks we used to power with washing machine motors we could used the electric or the hand pump or when there was wind just allow it to pump that away.
 my well is cased with 5" PVC so I can have either or down hole types of pumps a submersible or the simple pump if it were cased with 6" or larger then both could be placed down hole. Or since I have 20 ft of water standing in the bore hole I could place the simple pump slightly above a submersible. These simple pumps are pricey but simple enough that if I wanted I would just machine my own.
 The main 2 reasons why I am considering my options is because even after I flush my well I know it will only produce so much clear water the slower the watr is brought out the lower the particulate amount.
 I also know that I am going to have to heat the water to a certain point to aid in releasing some of the suspended particulates I will most likely incorporate several filtration and re-circulation methods as well as heat TO heat this would be a perfect use for a small 300 w turbine I have and have been wanting to find some practical use for  other than charging a bank. If I decide to use it then I will probably not worry about any kind of controller other than  furling. in high winds, just connect it directly to a  heating element.

madlabs

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 12:13:02 AM »
Frank, I think the pump I have will run on 12V too, just a slower GPM.  They make other pumps for different voltages too.

southpaw

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
 Hi Frank  I subscribe to the KISS principle and sometimes things tend to get  overcomplicated. If you can use gravity flow from your elevated storage tank, perhaps a pump such as this 
https://www.amazon.ca/ECO-WORTHY-Solar-Energy-Submersible-Water/dp/B01N4EMBBJ/ref=asc_df_B01N4EMBBJ/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292954168018&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5856706033543076358&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1002792&hvtargid=pla-420258290310&psc=1
 in your well pumping through your sand filter and directly into your elevated storage and controlled by a float switch would work
 and eliminate a lot of potential problems associated with multiple pumps and electronics. Best of luck.
Kurt

Frank S

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »
 Southpaw; that is the style of the pump I have been considering for the well probably won't be from amazon though.