Author Topic: Solar Panel  (Read 2936 times)

Lada425

Solar Panel
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:52 PM »
Hello  group.  Is there way to use power from panels when controller shuts off? My wind genny shunts to lights and a heater  but my solar controller just shuts off  its Missouri wind and sun mech relay type   I have 12 100w panels feeding four traction battery's  open to ideas  thanks
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:35:00 PM by SparWeb »

southpaw

Re: Solar oanel
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:13 AM »
Use a diversion load controller. They are reasonably priced and will send power not needed by the batteries to an external load, usually a space heater or water heater.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »
One of the best diversion controllers for the price is from a fellow forum member GHURD

http://www.ghurd.info/
The link is to his website. I'm sure he still sells them, plus there's tons of post on here about people using them.
Including me.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Lada425

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 01:26:46 PM »
Thanks  will look into it

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 05:27:26 PM »
Just finished up an assignment at work that has kept me busy the last few weeks so for a change I have time to read and comment.  If yours is using a spst or dpst type relay, I wonder if you could just replace it with a double throw type and use it to turn on an alternate load such as water or space heating.  You might have to extend the existing relay connections off of the current board to make room for the additinal contacts of a double throw relay, so it might take a bit of creative wiring from the existing board, but you would likely not have to change any of the control circuitry.  The relay is likely normally open (so that if it fails it fails such that no current flows to the batteries to prevent cooking them) so you would just wire the new normally open contacts to power directly or activate a contactor to power a DC load directly from the panels when the relay throws to stop sending current to the battery.    Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Lada425

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »
Hello thanks for the suggestion. Have to take look at that might be a solution

Michael Block

Re: Solar Panel
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »
oh my yes,  it would be a shame to loose the extra energy, I produce much more then my batteries can absorb. so a diversion is needed. I don't know anything the Miss controller, if you even have the option of bypassing the controller, that is shutting down the solar. I have always used Midnite solar, the classic line of charge controllers.

Diversion loads
1. Resisters of your voltage, they are glorified heaters, I purchased from windynation.
2. Water heater elements, for the voltage you have. I think this is the best.
3. You could even use baseboard heater this you must read up on.

With the charge controller's of today such as midnite solar there are aux ports where you can add solid state relays, these aux ports are 12v so you need a relay, that the coil is 12v the other side of the contactor using ac power from inverter. I think your solid state controller coil needs to be about 200ma. you can also use a solenoid again 12v controlling, then diversion load side using same voltage as the battery bank. such as mine of 24v. using this method this is a better conversion, due to not needing a inverter.

You can also use a pwm controller such as xantrex c60 as a diversion controller. If you run a turbine you already do this.

in short YES, don't waste the energy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:50:27 AM by SparWeb »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Solar Panel
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 02:52:44 AM »
Hi Michael,
Welcome to Fieldlines.
I noticed a few unintentionally auto-corrected words in your post...  fixed 'em for ya.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca