Author Topic: Smoked ribs  (Read 3113 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Smoked ribs
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:32:43 PM »
Hi all I have smoked ribs for along time. I have been trying to find the post that that mentions this but can only find the narrative.

"JW smoke your ribs as long as possible THEN transfer to the over. ... We do the same as Mary B, the most important part of getting that LOVELY smoke ring going. .... I have selected the best results I can get with the local grocery. ... ribs only take the smoke at under 180f, then fully cook them in the oven then back to smoker"

Going to try this soon :) and post results

I have this guy next to my shop and I want to compare smoked ribs. I will post detailed process and we will see how they come out :)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Smoked ribs
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:25:34 AM »
You're getting my mouth watering.
How do you share flavors through the internet (without getting your keyboard sticky??)?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:30:54 PM »
I do mine start to finish on the Traeger, never foil, no oven needed... Spares only take 3- 3 1/2 hours so it isn't a super long cook!

The meat stops taking smoke above 140 is the consensus but the bark from the smoker continues forming the entire time it is cooking and that thin layer is a massive part of the flavor profile!

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
Ya that advice about the temp of the smoke penetrating the ribs is what I was after. So 140f or 180f is what i will do.

Here's my plan, I want to take the fresh baby backs and stick them in the smoker naked for about an hour at 160f. Then take them out and rub steak seasoning and brown sugar. Then put in the oven at 240f covered with tin foil for about 2 and a half hours. They come out very soft, then stick them back in the smoker so they dry a bit for like 45 minutes.

Im wondering if they will turn pink from the smoker. I have got very good results baking covered rub with tinfoil and baking at 250f for about 2 or 3 hours. They are very soft and most of the fat comes out. Then smoke them to get texture, they fall off the bone.

Although I not a big fan of bark.   

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
Season from the start, you will get better results. Smoke that hour at 225ish... 160 is to close to the danger zone for bacteria growth in the meat...

Finish on the grill if you are going to sauce(I prefer dry) or even if you aren't to get more of that outdoor flavor...

You should get a little bit of a smoke ring. You can cheat and use liquid smoke in the rub to form it faster.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
My smoker is pretty clean. I love to smoke Big Jack Crevalle. when I can get them. My smoker is not seasoned. I will sterilize the the smoker up to around 350f. then drop the temp to about 140 to 160 when I smoke ribs.

I throw about 7 or 8 tin corn cobs wrapped in tin foil the area where the heat is at its hottest  after curing the smoker.

The ribs I get are wrapped in plastic fresh from the back meat counter.

After that I transfer the fresh   ribs to the smoker after a while then there naked then when there out apply steak rub and brown sugar. I then cover with tinfoil and bump the temp in the oven up to 250f for like 2 and a half hour.

After that I stick them back in the smoker for after about an hour. :)   

I haven't used this recipe yet but have high hopes.

I like to smoke fish too, so I sterilize the smoker between batches.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 11:11:48 PM »
Ok got the ribs :)  my neighbor runs a BBQ restaurant next door to my auto shop.

These ribs are better ones than at the grocery, got 2 full racks. have to thaw them and get more wood chunks, I have apple but would like some hickory chunks. The only else need is some steak rub and some brown sugar. and some corn on the cob wrapped in tinfoil to block the open flame of the smoker. Im not going to use charcoal just the wood chunks in the chimney, and dump in the burner pan.

11797-0
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:21:57 PM by JW »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
I have a slab of spares to trim up and cook but incoming storm and my poor Traeger doesn't need to get wet and rust more...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 04:46:50 PM »
The ribs are coming along great :)

I have tons of pictures, I wanted to ask every one is this better in the Pub. I can follow up with the final picture of the ribs done. I just don't want to post off the main topic. The whole process is way off topic and lengthy...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 07:45:01 PM »
Im happy how these came out. Always can do better :)

11798-0

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 10:22:27 PM »
Test post

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
Finally have some dry weather coming up so I can do a slab of ribs! I will post pics after they are done.

Looks tasty! I have never really had a bad rib unless it was under cooked or so over cooked it was like chewing sawdust.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »
Finally a day without rain! Slab of spares in front, the trim are the smaller pieces scattered behind it(will pull the meat for sandwiches), rub is Smokin' Guns mild(has decent heat, their hot is to much heat). 3-3 1/2 hours and they should be done.

Whole chicken with a little of the rub on the skin and injected with 50/50 Franks hot sauce and butter with dry Ranch Dressing mix stirred in. Sort of a Ranch buffalo chicken...

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 06:07:19 PM »
and 3 hours later(I was cooking at 250). Ribs are nice and tender!

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 09:52:21 PM »
Wow that stuff looks great, the chicken is really impressive.     

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »
Chicken breast came out super moist and tender but next time i will up the ranch dressing mix in the hot sauce. Amazingly little heat carried over into the meat, just a hint... I will do it again because it made some of the best sandwich meat i have ever had(had a before bed snack last night using some of it cold). Need to try it on a turkey breast also!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 08:46:36 AM »
Those ribs are just perfect looking! The meat's just pulling away from the bone .
That chicken looks nice n plump!!
Hows the meat at the bone looking?

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »
On the chicken? I pulled it when the breast was 170 and the thigh joint was at 185... so fall off the bone but really moist from the injection.

Ribs were a bit overdone for my taste. I like the meat to have a little pull coming off the bone, this was falling off. I coudn't find any ribs without the salt water injection crap and those always seem to cook faster than plain ribs without all the extra salt.