Author Topic: Need help with Power Supply  (Read 2453 times)

MagnetJuice

Need help with Power Supply
« on: May 15, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »
I just got a bunch of high power car audio amplifiers for free. A friend gave them to me. He said that as far as he knows most of them are good.

I would like to test them in my shop under “normal” conditions. That is, connected to hi power speakers and a 12 inch subwoofer and run them for an hour or more. I don't want to use a car battery to power them.

I have 4 of these digital power supplies. They are the switching type.

11821-0

Here is my question; can I connect the outputs of all 4 or at least 2 in parallel to get more current? I would like to have at least 15 Amps, or 30 Amps if I can connect all 4 together.

The amplifiers need 12 Vdc. I can bring the voltage down to 14 Volts using a regulator with by-pass power transistors. I have a lot of 2N3055 transistors that I can use for that.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Need help with Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »
First thoughts:
Want a common bus for all negative wires with low resistance.
Each positive lead needs a diode before feeding the common positive bus.

Before doing this...
Have you measured each power supply's output under the expected share of the load?  Do they all regulate the same voltage?  The open-circuit voltage can be much higher than the loaded voltage.

There's more to it than this, I'm sure.  These are "switching" power supplies not intended to for this application, and normally only meant to charge a battery.  They may shut themselves off when no load is on the output.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

MagnetJuice

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:05:41 PM »
I tested one, I can test the other 3 and measure the parameters.

For the one I tested, I used a large gauge nichrome wire for a load. At 9.7 Amps it was reading 19.9 Volts

All four are Lenovo and the same Model number.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:04:01 PM »
Here is the test results of all four supplies.

They stay on when not loaded. I have not check yet what was the original application of theses supplies. Maybe they were used to power some of Lenovo's older large monitors.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:25:45 PM »
These supplies were used to power the Lenovo ThinkPad W530 and W520, 15.6 inch Mobile Workstation.

These laptops had to be power hungry to use a supply this heavy.

OperaHouse

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »
These typically have an opto isolator and a TL431 on the output to set the voltage. Not that hard to set to a lower or slightly higher voltage. A good chance to learn about the 431.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 02:59:04 PM »
That's great news OperaHouse. I was dreading having to build a regulator to step down the voltage.

I'm going to take one apart and see what I can find inside. No big deal if I ruin it, I saw about a dozen of these at the Thrift Store for about $3 each.

Thanks for your help

Ed

OperaHouse

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 01:50:01 PM »
I buy a lot of these at the thrift store for 69 cents.  Many will work on only 60V DC from my solar array and power my controls. The TL431 has only three pins and powers an opto isolator.  One will be at negative potential and another at near the output voltage. The third pin is the sense will always be at 2.5V exactly.   It goes to a resistive voltage divider. Check resistance from that pin to + output.  Make that resistance slightly lower. WARNING The 431 will burn out instantly if the resistance is too low so don't just put a pot in parallel without having a resistance in series to limit the current to less than 5ma.

joestue

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 05:17:30 PM »
you can build a buck converter and drive it from the output of a signal generator at whatever duty cycle you want. for your task, the 50 ohm output impedance is low enough to drive a pair of 50 amp mosfets.

the 1:1 coils from common mode chokes make good gate drivers for as low as 50khz into a mosfet, use a resistor in series with the gate for turn on, with a diode across it to turn it off quicker than it turns on, you get some dead time that way.

for a 250 watt buck converter you can use the ferrite transformer core from a computer power supply, gap it to about 1mm. maybe 10 turns of wire at 50khz. the capacitors on the input side of the buck converter matter a whole lot more than the output because the parasitic inductance between the mosfets and the capacitors causes significant problems.

anyhow you don't need a regulator, just set it to 12volts output which would be about 60% duty cycle. the voltage will drop under load a bit, but not enough to matter for your application. if the voltage drop is too high then get better mosfets and build a lower resistance inductor.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
I stripped one bare and took some pictures. Here they are:

11824-011825-111826-2

Take a look Opera, see if you can guide me as to which resistors to replace. I have many values of multiturn trimmer resistors that I can use to find the value that I need.

There isn't any to-92 components anywhere so the 8-pin DIP has to be the TL431.

Joestue, what you describe sounds interesting, but a bit too technical for me. I'll keep it in mind, it could be doable. I probably have most of the parts except for the mosfets. Unless I can get them out of something that I have. I have lots of computer power supplies and car audio amplifiers. Maybe it would be better to buy the mosfets new. Can you give me a part number just in case that I need to buy them?

Would it be possible for you to post a simple diagram of the circuit? I'm a bit visual, like most people I guess. That is why I post a lot of pictures.

Ed

MagnetJuice

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
Here is a better picture

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »
2561 is an optocoupler for sure, I didn't look it up but where it is and the shape tell me that is most likely. The other is probably the 431 with some private part numbers(many manufacturers do this crap to stop people form repairing stuff)