Author Topic: Help with a hybrid powered security light pole thing!  (Read 1026 times)

makenzie71

Help with a hybrid powered security light pole thing!
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:41:59 AM »
I guess this could have gone in solar or wind  :o

I'm wanting to build a security light pole apparatus that has 1 or 2 LED flood lights which can keep a 100x100ft area nicely lit for 8 hours.  I want it to be a completely standalone unit so I will need both solar panels and a small wind turbine ("need" is a strong word I just like the idea), batteries, and lights.  I have a turbine that's generally good for a solid 100~200 watts of production if the wind is actually moving.  I've also got a 12/24v hybrid charge controller that should work okay for this as well.  I'm looking for suggestions for solar panels, batteries, and lights though.  I can get some good 350w panels for very cheap but they're full size panels...I'm thinking I would probably like something a bit daintier for something like this but I may go that route just because it's what the budget will allow.

Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Help with a hybrid powered security light pole thing!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
Big area... a bunch of smaller LED spots would be a lot easier than one huge one. And an off the shelf item... One of these would need a 20AH battery(UPS battery etc) and just a smallish solar panel to light up a pretty dang big area. Heat sink required, fan cooling likely needed... https://www.mpja.com/1000-Lumen-10-Watt-Super-Bright-Cool-White-LED-Module/productinfo/31325+OP/ they do run HOT! 4 of them mounted on 4 sides of a pole will light up a pretty dang big area... 4000 lumens total... call it 100AH battery needs(could use a marine deep cycle...)

You WILL need a constant current circuit for best life... I would go Lithium battery so if you drain one to far it doesn't destroy it... otherwise need a voltage monitor circuit to cut them off if the battery volts drop to low...

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:49:39 PM »
Doing pulsed DC LED driver gives power savings - 240Hz etc...  Fast enough the human eye won't see flicker or get the strobe-effect when gaze shifts but still an appreciable amount of 'off' time... then there is a bonus - over-driving the emitter safely part: DC Forward Current is limited by overall thermal resistance & ambient temperatures, the particular die's Junction Temperature rating is absolute; the linked $3 LED has no data sheet I could see so...

As an example, looking at OSRAM LEDEngine LEDs (I've used them before) let's boost current in a CVCC circuit, they spell out "Pulse Width ≤ 10msec and Duty cycle ≤ 10%" for those pulsed ratings, some of their LED dies can take 100% additional current, some 50%, some (UV dies) are same limit as constant DC... So the light emitter is driven < 10% of the time at up to 200% of the normal DC current for energy savings, just keep chip cool...

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yd35ybyr

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 03:40:20 AM »
An important point of using solar and wind together is that both devices have a totally different U-I characteristic. The voltage variation of a solar panel is slow but of a wind turbine can be very fast during wind gusts. If you charge a battery, you will always need a battery charge controller which prevents that the battery is overloaded when it is full.

If you use only a solar panel, you can use a simple device which separates the solar panel from the battery when the voltage is too high. The maximum open voltage of a solar panel is not that high that the electronics in the voltage controller will be damaged. If the battery voltage is reduced enough, the panel is connected to the battery again and charging continues. However, the open voltage of a wind turbine can be much higher and the voltage variation is much faster. So a voltage controller designed for a solar panel can normally not be used in combination with a wind turbine as you will blow up the electronics because of the high maximum open voltage. Another problem is that the wind turbine will run unloaded when it is disconnected from the battery and the rotor will therefore be very noisy.

Battery charge controllers for wind turbines normally have a dump load and the voltage controller guides that much power to the dump load that the charging voltage is maintained at the maximum allowable level. But a dump load makes the battery charge controller more expensive. But a battery charge controller with a dump load can also be used for a solar panel. The maximum power which can be dissipated in the dump load must be equal to the sum of the maximum power of wind turbine and solar panel together. On my website www.kdwindturbines.nl you find a free manual of a 200 W, 27.6 V battery charge controller at the bottom of the menu KD-reports. The power of this device can be increased by connecting several 200 W dump load modules in parallel and using only one voltage controller.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »
Adriaan's explanation is pretty spot on.

There is also this, if you are into the DIY thing for dump controllers

http://ghurd.info/

Ghurd is a mod here and there's quite a few that have built and used these (including me  ;D ) . It's kinda like the set it and forget stuff.

Go to that website it explains everything, or send GHURD a PM he's pretty quick to answer .

Stay Safe
Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
I have a little 12/24v hybrid controller that I plan to use to handle the charging and dump load.  I think the thing even handles a low voltage cut off.  It didn't work for the intended project but I think it might work okay for this one :D

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
Doing pulsed DC LED driver gives power savings - 240Hz etc...  Fast enough the human eye won't see flicker or get the strobe-effect when gaze shifts but still an appreciable amount of 'off' time... then there is a bonus - over-driving the emitter safely part: DC Forward Current is limited by overall thermal resistance & ambient temperatures, the particular die's Junction Temperature rating is absolute; the linked $3 LED has no data sheet I could see so...

As an example, looking at OSRAM LEDEngine LEDs (I've used them before) let's boost current in a CVCC circuit, they spell out "Pulse Width ≤ 10msec and Duty cycle ≤ 10%" for those pulsed ratings, some of their LED dies can take 100% additional current, some 50%, some (UV dies) are same limit as constant DC... So the light emitter is driven < 10% of the time at up to 200% of the normal DC current for energy savings, just keep chip cool...

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yd35ybyr

Also complicates design, you need to make sure to suppress any radio frequency interference you generate because you will be fined if it causes problems. Many instances of companies using cheap LED lighting and getting fined because ti is wiping out radio reception.

glort

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:37:01 AM »
  I can get some good 350w panels for very cheap but they're full size panels..

You can't have too much solar and remember the Gloomy days when the 350W panel will be making 30W or less.  You better hope the wind is blowing those days as well. I would be working out the power you need and doubling up on both the solar and the Wind if it's important that light be on every night.