Author Topic: Boost voltage Charging time  (Read 3279 times)

fabieville

Boost voltage Charging time
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
How long should a charge controller remain at the Boost Voltage before switching to float charge mode? I have a charge controller which is set at 2hrs default and then afterwards it goes into float mode.

I have  (2) epever 40ah mppt charge controllers which are charging 2 different battery banks which the default time is set to 2hrs for both of them to remain at the boost voltage mode.

I have (2) SLA deep cycle battery bank. One is 12v at 380ah 14.4v boost and the other is 24v at 380ah 28.8v boost.

Should each controller remain at the 2hrs default for the boost voltage or how much time would be the recommended time to remained at the boost voltage before going into float mode?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Boost voltage Charging time
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:33:11 PM »
My Morningstar SS-MPPT-15L runs ~3h+ in boost before float?

http://www.earth.org.uk/_off-grid-stats.html

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
If you are using SLA then check that the boost voltage is not too high - you can't 'equalise' an SLA like you can a flooded lead acid battery.
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

fabieville

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:27:37 AM »

The boost voltage is nothing anomaly high, but it would be prudent to follow the battery manufacturers requirements, as there is no  battery  temperature stated, it'is difficult to answer such an open ended question.

With more sophisticated controllers there is provision for a remote temperature sensor which automatically corrects the charging voltage in proportion to the battery temperature.

In regards to the statement above if I install the battery temp sensor which comes with the charge controller I could then let the settings remain at 14.4v for the boost voltage for the SLA battery and maintain the 2hrs boost time or push it to 3hrs?

But if there is no temp sensor install it would be best to reduce it to 14.1v and still maintain the 2hrs boost charging time? or let it stay at 14.4v 2hrs boost?

I realize that at the 14.4v 2hrs boost for the sla battery the battery bank gets a slight temp at the ending process I don't have the temp sensor install yet so I don't exactly know how high it is but it is slightly above warm.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 11:20:35 PM »
In my batteries, this normally takes <2 hours if they've done nothing overnight, and >4 hours if I've used them for anything more than a few lights.
It really depends on the size of your battery bank, the loads that you put on it, and its state of charge in the morning when the sun rises.

What I read in the Morningstar and Xantrex manuals for their respective CC's is that the charge current is monitored as it is also being regulated by the PWM clipping.  The CC starts in "Bulk" charge mode and watches the current needed to maintain the bulk voltage, regulating the PW so that the voltage doesn't rise.  But as the battery continues to charge, the current needed to maintain the voltage becomes less and less.  At a certain point it switches over the Float mode, reducing the current even further to that the voltage drops to float voltage.  So it wouldn't need much if it wasn't discharged overnight, but need a lot if it was drawn down a lot.

There is a way to calculate it... Not an easy way...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Rob Beckers

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
It is not all that hard to calculate what the boost/absorb time should be, and the equation actually makes sense when looked at a little closer. As it turns out, absorb time should generally be quite a bit longer than most people would think. First, here is the equation for absorb time:

Absorb-time (hours) = 0.42 x Battery-Amp-Hours (Ah) / Charge-Current (Amp)

Let's do an example that shows how it works. Say we have a smallish system, consisting of four solar panels of 300 Watt each, a 24 Volt battery bank made out of four Surrette S-550's in series (each 6V @ 428Ah - that is the 20-hour rating), and an EP-Solar/EP-Ever 40A MPPT charge controller.

So what is the charge current going to be?

Current (Amp) = Power (Watt) / Voltage (Volt)

Realistically, a 24V battery bank charges at around 28 Volt (or even higher), and we have 1,200 Watt of solar panels. So this works out to:

Current = 1200 / 28 = (nearly) 43 Amp

Of course, the charge controller is limited to 40A and will clip at that value. Now, in reality panels rarely produce rated output, and the sun rarely shines full-tilt, so for battery absorb purposes I use 85% as a more realistically available current:

Current = 0.85 x 43 = 36.5 Amp

We have all the variables for calculating the absorb time now, so let's give it a whirl:

Absorb-time = 0.42 x 428 / 36.5 = 4.9 hours (!)

That is 4 hours and 55 minutes, yeah, it really takes THAT long! The EP-Solar charge controllers won't even go for that long, their maximum boost time setting is 3 hours.

So where did this equation come from you ask?

When lead-acid batteries are being charged with the usual boost-absorb-float cycles, the first phase, boost, takes them up to about 80% - 85% State-Of-Charge (SOC). During boost charging the controller puts as much current into the batteries as it can, so the battery Voltage slowly rises, until it reaches the absorb/boost Voltage setting and the boost-stage is over.

At that point we still have 15% - 20% to go before the battery is actually "full". Or in Amp-hours from our example, we still need to put back 65Ah - 86Ah.

From our example we had a realistic current at this point of about 36.5 Amp. If we could put back 86Ah efficiently that would take just 86 / 36.5 = 2.3 hours. But life with lead-acid batteries is just not that good! Putting those back is not going to be efficient, at that high a Voltage we are spending an awful lot of energy electrolysing water (hence the vigorous bubbling of those batteries!). We will have to try harder! Or, as the case may be here, longer.

At the same time, during absorb charging, the charge controller keeps the battery Voltage constant and tapers down the current as needed, so that Voltage stays the same. In other words, we don't even have 36.5 Amp. It's getting less and less as the absorb phase goes on!

If the current tapered linearly (and it does somewhat but not quite do that), it would take twice as long to put back those missing Amp-hours. The factor in the equation would then be somewhere around 0.3 to 0.4. Trial & error (my favourite scientific method!) has found that 0.42 is a reasonable number to get the job done.

I realize most people's eyes glaze over when they see an equation, but let's take a closer look at that absorb time one:

If you divide the Amp-hour capacity of the battery bank by the current going in (in Amp) you get the time it would take to re-charge the batteries from empty to full, if the process was 100% efficient. So, 428 Ah and 36.5 Amp makes nearly 12 hours. We only need to put back 15% - 20% during absorb, so that makes 1.8 - 2.4 hours. But that charge current is tapering off, making it so we need twice as long (exactly twice as long if the current tapered as a straight line to zero and charge efficiency is 100%), so that time becomes 3.6 - 4.8 hours. Inefficiencies in the charge process make it so we're at the high-end of that time, and then some, 4.9 hours of absorb time. That is where the 0.42 factor came from.

Clearly, the bigger your battery bank, the longer it will take to recharge. That is why "Battery-Amp-Hours" in the equation is something we multiply with. Twice the battery bank size, twice as long an absorb time. Makes sense, no?

Similarly, the more current we can pump into that battery bank, the shorter it will take to recharge those batteries. That is why the "Charge-Current" in the equation is below the division line. Twice the current, half the time it takes to absorb. Sounds reasonable?

Hopefully the equation now makes more sense, and you can use it to calculate the absorb time for your battery bank!

Now, is it really all that important to exactly stick to this absorb time number? No, it is not. Reality with batteries is a little more complex and the equation is just a simplification to get us a number that works well enough. Absorb time is also determined by the charge Voltage, or more specifically the boost/absorb Voltage. A higher absorb Voltage "works harder" and puts more energy back, possibly allowing for a shorter absorb time. It is also very much a factor of the state of the plates of the battery, how 'sulphated' they are. In some ways the equation really is about worst-case what it takes to reliably get those missing Ah's back and clean sulphate off the plates (to a point, there comes a time when sulphate crystals grow to become nearly irreversible!). As with all in life it is a trade-off, but one that works for most to keep their batteries happy.

I know that most people don't use anywhere near the absorb time this equation would suggest, and their batteries are fine! Yup! That is entirely possible. Especially if batteries get cycled relatively shallowly (and anything less than 50% SOC is 'shallow'), shorter absorb times may work just fine. So don't obsess about this, do what you can. If your charge controller allows for the full absorb duration, set it (so it uses it when the sun is there to make that happen). If not, just set it as large as you can. Your batteries will thank you for it!

-RoB-

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:01:39 PM by Rob Beckers »