Author Topic: Blame Jimmy Carter  (Read 1219 times)

OperaHouse

Blame Jimmy Carter
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
I was doing some rewiring and a wire dropped and zapped my NANO that runs the fridge. I'm getting worse at this, not making any attempt to be careful.  I've even soldered new FET into voltage converters while still running. It works 3 out of 4 times.  So, I wired in a new UNO and then tried to locate the program that drove it. All the program names sounded the same as I was working on several variations at about the same time. It didn't fix it. The diagram I had just made had a couple pin off by one. All the data was looking wrong so I looked at the program. Couldn't figure out a variable called MBBcount. Thought that was most significant bit for the DS18B20 temp sensor, it was for my Make Sky Blue controller. The MSB controller gets severely confused in tracking and has to be reset by disconnecting the panel.

I had Cx100 as a variable and thought that I really has just forgot to change it to Cx10, I couldn't be multiplying the temperature by 100. Then I kept thinking in F when it should have been C. Numbers went fro -250 to over 500. I was ready to cob something together to get thru the night. Then the refrigerator came on as normal. It was all a confusion of terms. The normal operating range of the fridge was 0-5C or 0-500 for the variable.  I just can't get used to thinking metric.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Blame Jimmy Carter
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 11:16:31 PM »
I have worked with drawings done by many people.  I can always tell the designers with metric brains from the inch brains, when looking at their drawings, no matter what units are actually on their drawings.  People with inch brains are used to using fractions of an inch, and you should normally see "3.375" to represent 3+3/8".  But the metric brains will produce drawings with 3.386" dimensions, and they will think it makes sense when it doesn't.  OTOH sometimes I get a metric drawing where inch-brain designers will produce crap like 304.8mm because they actually designed the part in inches and slapped metric dimensions on, letting CAD take care of the conversion.

Jimmy Carter is my hero.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
Re: Blame Jimmy Carter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »
But the metric brains will produce drawings with 3.386" dimensions

Nah - they'll put in a dimension of 85.7mm
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)