Author Topic: H-Darreius wind turbines ( VAWT ) !  (Read 64542 times)

topspeed

H-Darreius wind turbines ( VAWT ) !
« on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:25 AM »
If someone is interested of these let's discuss it ( H-Darreus ) here !

I have done 2 prototypes and yesterday in 10 m/s wind I was able to get 1900 rpm reading of the wing ( on the island of Hailuoto ).
With the given measures of my turbine ( roughly ) 1 x 1 meters..it dictates a speed of 101 m/s for the wing.

Thus it yields 10.1 for TSR. G-force in the wing was beyond 100.

Enclosed is the Marious Paraschivoiu tests results in Concordia Uiversity in Canada for a 7 KW system.

I had a very underrated generator on my device...that helps it reach a higher speed sor sure.

Marius Paraschivoiu is the son of Ion Paraschiuvoiu who  is a master in H-Darreius research.
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

Aerodynamics is highly educated guessing, worked out to 5 decimals

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: H-Darreius wind turbines ( VAWT ) !
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »
1900 rpm ! :o

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »

I have done 2 prototypes and yesterday in 10 m/s wind I was able to get 1900 rpm reading of the wing ( on the island of Hailuoto ).
With the given measures of my turbine ( roughly ) 1 x 1 meters..it dictates a speed of 101 m/s for the wing.
1900 rpm at the wing? what part of the wing? This does matter.
Do you happen to have a picture of the measuring device showing these RPMs?
Also would like to know if this was loaded or unloaded.
IF loaded what type of load ? any measurements of watts produced?

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

topspeed

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:13:19 AM »

1900 rpm at the wing? what part of the wing? This does matter.
Do you happen to have a picture of the measuring device showing these RPMs?
Also would like to know if this was loaded or unloaded.
IF loaded what type of load ? any measurements of watts produced?

Bruce S

Hi Bruce,

No picture to show the reading...this is very unofficial. In fact it was very tricky ( and dangerous ) to take the speed measurement as it sometimes showed the double speed of 3600 rpm..as the device also measured the wing going behind ( if not pointed correctly ).

It only has a used bicycle hub generator with  a light swiched on...so there was 30-50 watts at tops the resistance..as the wing sweeped at 365 km/h.

Good thing about my turbine is that I can always repeat the test and even enhance the machine. It has no marks of wearing down...yet.

I think it measures the wing upper side.

Juke

PS: The Kavan was on two props and showed 19 on it..once...18 more times.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:32:33 AM by topspeed »
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:30:50 AM »
I hope you plan to install a much larger generator than 30 W.  Your blades are overspeeding and despite your current success they will probably find a way to fly apart if they continue to run that fast.  Your machine seems to have much more aerodynamic power available than you are taking out with the generator.  In fact, you really should be looking for a ~200 Watt load or perhaps more.
There's some potential so I hope you get the chance to show it.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

topspeed

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:00:47 AM »
I hope you plan to install a much larger generator than 30 W.  Your blades are overspeeding and despite your current success they will probably find a way to fly apart if they continue to run that fast.  Your machine seems to have much more aerodynamic power available than you are taking out with the generator.  In fact, you really should be looking for a ~200 Watt load or perhaps more.
There's some potential so I hope you get the chance to show it.

Yes thanks SW,

We are on it..possibly a car part could do the trick ( 1 kw ).

Juke

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »
There is something very weird here now.

The G-force is 2000 when we recounted it.

I did think the pivoting system and actuator sorta divide the metric ton pulling force in to sturdy 3-point attachment points..but also the 1,5 mm thick plywood covering is to blame too. The weird foil is optimal for stressed skin..kinda like shell structure.

I am pretty sure it will brake at 15 m/s wind.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
Batteries must be dying..or some reflection makes a double signal...1900 / 4 would be 475 rpm.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 03:46:51 AM »
Here is vital info that possibly explains why the wing did not explode week ago...spanwise flow.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/38482/where-is-the-spanwise-flow-how-does-the-span-wise-flow-point-the-air-towards-th

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 05:20:06 AM »
I have now tested two times with a new rpm meter.

More modest data available. ;)

Highest speed was 377 RPM...yielding around TSR of 3.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:51:48 PM by topspeed »

Ulrich Hütter

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
 8) cool

topspeed

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »
I am working on a bigger generator to be able to measure the output.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »
8) cool

New arrangement provided steady ground attachment. Old one failed.

Ulrich Hütter

CraigM

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »

8Fun hub motor? Would be interested in knowing more about this.

Thanks,
CM
Brain engaged in Absorption Charge Mode... please wait, this may take awhile.

topspeed

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 02:42:24 AM »

8Fun hub motor? Would be interested in knowing more about this.

Thanks,
CM

I will inform as I progress on it. It is a 250 Watt system.

Problem with currect dynamo is that is has too little drag ( 5-14 watts )...for high winds.

Ulrich Hütter

MattM

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 08:08:29 AM »
I always wondered about maybe small VAWT could use a rider mower electric PTO clutch (minus the brake) to engage when windspeeds get to RPMs that need more load.  You only need 40W to engage most types good for up to 25hp.  The PTO could engage a more robust resistance PMG to drive down RPMs.  (It would probably burn out the clutch in no time.)  Your experiment is quickly reaching enough power to maybe provide enough juice for a PTO clutch.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 08:44:47 AM »
Nice way to start the morning too, Cafe' Mocha, Beignet, and thoughts of electronics  "stuff" .  8)

I too will be interested in seeing how well this goes. In our City, we cannot have HAWTs, way too many overhead wires.
However, up to 8 feet (2.3M) about ground level we can have "yard art" Which is what VAWTs have been labeled as.
I have a very nice ECM from GHURD that I've been grooming to put up.

I'll be watching to see how well this goes.

Cheers
Bruce S
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:01:35 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

topspeed

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 05:40:23 AM »
I always wondered about maybe small VAWT could use a rider mower electric PTO clutch (minus the brake) to engage when windspeeds get to RPMs that need more load.  You only need 40W to engage most types good for up to 25hp.  The PTO could engage a more robust resistance PMG to drive down RPMs.  (It would probably burn out the clutch in no time.)  Your experiment is quickly reaching enough power to maybe provide enough juice for a PTO clutch.

I discovered the gyroscopic force is strong on this...so possibly it could be run  in a heavy storm....reaching KWs.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
I  will make a set of bigger wings to get a better re-area...swept area stays the same.

Ulrich Hütter

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »
I discovered the gyroscopic force is strong on this...so possibly it could be run  in a heavy storm....reaching KWs.

But the aerodynamic forces also ramp up dramatically in strong winds.
So do the forces imposed by mass imbalances.

Which means, "NO" these cannot possibly be run in heavy storms.  It will reach Zero KWs.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

topspeed

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 02:30:38 PM »

But the aerodynamic forces also ramp up dramatically in strong winds.
So do the forces imposed by mass imbalances.

Which means, "NO" these cannot possibly be run in heavy storms.  It will reach Zero KWs.

You are right there is a strong MICROVIBRATION going on in a heavy wind...but no tendency to tumble it down.

I figure you just have to live with the vibrations and not let it escalate. It shall not sorta yield to the cyclical work phase that causes the vibrations.

My next model concentrates along with current measuring to these microvibration handling aspects.

Lumber is stronger than on the proto number 2....also the structure will be more steady.

My latest test day failed me as I only clocked TSR 3 figures as the soil was loose...I was on the low tide sea bed.

I will also double the re-number on the wings.

Some of this could be applied: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97t7Xj_iBv0
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:07:19 AM by topspeed »

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 05:38:49 AM »
The new bigger turbine is beyond half way ready. I have even painted a part of the middle piece ( connects the blades ) of the advanced pitch controlled H-Darreius.

I have attented few fluid dynamics classes at the university to obtain doctor degree to be able to present the system/innovation more precisely.

Wing will be roughly 1 kg a piece and middle part around 6 kg with generator..... legs/tower roughly 8 kg. Reynolds area increases about 100% from the previous..it is still smaller than the McDonnell Aircraft Giromill proto in 1975-1978.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 01:29:54 PM »
Upper part of the tower is taking shape..not rounded yet.

Ulrich Hütter

MagnetJuice

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 05:30:18 PM »
Looking good topspeed, thank you for the progress report.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

topspeed

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »
Thanks MJ.

I do something everyday.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 05:53:41 AM »
Bigger tower is getting legs attached..for testing the fit.

I will do a major modification on the hub-motor next....after painting the tower.
12255-0
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:42:06 PM by TechAdmin »

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2019, 06:32:24 AM »
3 KW hubmotor tweaked to produce 12 KW ( not mine ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=KU1Axy4bVYE
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:42:24 PM by TechAdmin »

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »
This used hub started to rotate at 75% less friction than with the planet gear..which I deactivated and threw into trash.

At best of conditions they claim 78% efficiency with the planet gear....I figure I rised the efficiency to 96% by taking off the unnecassary gear.

I also had to wedge the rotator to the core ( using duct tape ).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:42:39 PM by TechAdmin »

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2019, 01:23:48 AM »
I have to do a fairing to the tower....just in case.  :-\

12295-1
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:42:58 PM by TechAdmin »

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
I erected the new turbine's tower...and tested the old one.

I was kinda sad that I forgot to bring all tools with me...as this new tower fits also to the older turbine's top part.

1-2 meters higher the wind was 10-12 m/s and a bit lower 7-10 m/s.

Highest 928 RPM was indicated...and 904.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:43:15 PM by TechAdmin »

Ulrich Hütter

CraigM

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 10:46:16 PM »
Great looking location overlooking what I presume is an ocean in the background. Do you experience corrosion problems with the salt air?
Brain engaged in Absorption Charge Mode... please wait, this may take awhile.

topspeed

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 04:21:18 AM »
Great looking location overlooking what I presume is an ocean in the background. Do you experience corrosion problems with the salt air?

My engineer deviced me to turn into steinless steel.

--

Hackaday the other day about VAWT: https://hackaday.com/2019/10/05/building-a-wind-power-generator-in-your-backyard/#more-378893

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 05:53:44 AM »
I have been able to test that the generator works without the reduction gear. I also started with the control panel.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:43:31 PM by TechAdmin »

Ulrich Hütter