Author Topic: Lightning still not over  (Read 1217 times)

OperaHouse

Lightning still not over
« on: June 19, 2019, 01:00:32 PM »
A couple weeks before I left camp last year my panels were hit by lightning. Thought I had repaired everything.  This year I haven't noticed the the septic relay coming on. I've been turning it on manually just because it has been raining a lot.  So I finally decided to check the control system.  It is a little unique because the relay actually turns off the pump for 10 seconds to reset the interval timer and restart the pump.  Putting the relay wire to negative should have activated the relay, it didn't.  I opened the box and the wire to power the relay was floating in the air.  I thought I had a LED in series, but couldn't find it.  Hit control wire to common and a big arc, something was shorted. It was the diode across the coil and I replaced it. Still didn't work, relay open. Replaced the relay and now the driving FET was shorted. With a new FET it has to work now. Put a watt meter on it to see how long it ran.  ZERO.  When I replaced the micro last year I put the wire on the wrong pin.  Looking closer, the lightning blew up the LED. At least I now know what path the lightning took to smoke the micro.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Lightning still not over
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 01:38:14 PM »
Strange thing that lighting strike !!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 02:55:30 PM »
30 years repairing electronics, I have seen lightning do weird things... one house the antenna was hit, lightning vaporized the cable coming down the wall outside, also jumped to the bathroom plumbing right under the antenna and exploded the copper water pipes when the water flashed to steam. TV was a smoking wreck, everything electronic in the house was toast EXCEPT the stereo right next to the TV that was connected to the antenna for FM reception, It was fine despite being right on the cable that was vaporized(we found 3 inches of it left connected to the stereo). Also every electric motor in the house was fried, furnace control board fried etc. Insurance told me to write it all off, not repairable, including the stereo, I paid the insurance company $10 in salvage for it, still using it out in the outdoor kitchen off the deck. But the speakers connected to the stereo were fried, turntable was fried, cassette deck was fried... somehow the stereo itself lived...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »
It's coming to get me.  It's only a matter of time...

11896-0
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca