Author Topic: Outback batteries  (Read 2215 times)

omweg

• windenergy4ever
Outback batteries
« on: June 24, 2019, 05:18:32 AM »
I am living off-grid, my system consists of two piggott 3 meter turbines and a solar 500 Wp and a solar 1200 Wp on 24 volt with a storage of 225 Amp hour Rolls Royce batteries.
The batteries are at the end of there life cycle and I am now concidering for replacement. I think the most cost effective is still the lead-acid battery.
I am investigating if the outback battery is a good choce, has someone experience with it? The specs say that the life cycle is 1000 discharges higher with a 50% DOD then the for instance Trajon deep cycle batteries.
I have read the otherpower article on batteries the conclusion would then be wet L16 batteries.
All help for a good choice is welcome.
Thanks.
the planet of my dreams is bulging at the seams

bigrockcandymountain

Re: Outback batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 03:36:46 PM »
Simpliphi batteries are the best i have seen for a new tech option.  Or maybe their marketing is just good.  I went with surrette rolls s550 4 years ago.   I don't know what i would do today but since my batteries are ok for awhile yet, i don't need to decide.  I think lead acid is cheapest to get you back in business. 

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
My gel set is really creaking, and I have LiFePO4 elsewhere, but I just don't see the off-grid LiFePO4/solar/controller market as mature and broad and slick as lead-acid yet.  It'll happen, but I think that I will probably do one more round of the heavy stuff for off-grid at this rate!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 03:34:00 AM »
I was looking at a large battery bank for a project and had a look at used vehicle battery packs.  Most are Lithium, either Lithium Ion or Lithium Iron Phosphate.  I could get a bank from a wrecked Chevy Volt here in the U.S. for about $2400 delivered with about 8 KWh usable capacity, but I would have to carve it up to achieve the voltage I want, and then modify charging and battery management circuits to fit the bank once configured.  Used Tesla packs and Nissan Leaf packs were also available. I have not pulled the trigger on such a setup yet, but $ per watt hour it is about as cheap as I have seen when considering the depth of discharge and cycle life, although, when buying a used bank one can not be quite sure of the condition.  I am mostly solar, and that is also slightly easier than wind in that I can set it to open the charging circuit if a cell voltage goes out of spec, since you can not overcharge lithium like you can lead acid.  Just opening the charging circuit is not something you can (well would want to anyway) do with wind which requires an effective dump load and shut down strategy.  Rich

Ebay item #283431008722 is an example, although a bit more expensive:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-CHEVROLET-VOLT-Lithium-ion-Battery-Pack-Modules-Assembly-Chevy-32k-Miles/283431008722?hash=item41fdcdf9d2:g:tOIAAOSwr7ZcRfJx
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 07:53:14 PM »
This thread spans years.  https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7681

The answer seems to be the lifespan depends on who made them and on how you use. LiFePO4 cells have stable chemistry, are not flammable like LiCo and can last many years if made by people who understand what they are doing. Kind of like every other commodity.

I use AA sized LiFePO4 in microphones because they save me big money over alkaline AA's and last long enough even with a dummy cell (3.2v setup) to finish a service.