Author Topic: Intro to batteries for low-powered units  (Read 2147 times)

Karana

Intro to batteries for low-powered units
« on: July 29, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »
Hello

I am looking for some basic advice on how to get started with batteries for very low powered units that kids are using to charge cell phones. We are building single phase, 40 watt turbines rated at 3 amps max (24 AWG) average wind speeds here are 3m/s but we get hours at 4 to 5m/s so the output may be higher.

What is abundant here is car batteries but where would I look in a junkyard for something better? All my sources are junkyard, so please do not recommend something that I would have to buy online or in a store in the US or Europe or Latin America. I am in the Ivory Coast with very few resources available. Plus I want to see how to make this technology accessible to anyone.  Ideas?

Karana

MagnetJuice

Re: Intro to batteries for low-powered units
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.

Please give us a little more information about the unit that you use to turn the generator.  Also tell us about the generator that you use to charge the battery.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Intro to batteries for low-powered units
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 11:03:03 PM »
Hi Karana,
You are right that used car batteries are not very good for these projects.  They tend to have failed, just like the rest of the vehicle as it arrived at the junkyard.  And the other issue of having kids handling these batteries with liquid acids inside is probably the best reason to stay away from them.

Other things you might use...
There are some kinds of power tools that are battery powered (drills, saws, etc.) and these are a great resource for batteries.  Flashlights, clocks, children's toys... there are varieties that have rechargeable batteries and some that don't. Maybe you could find portable land-line phones (but not sure if they were ever popular in the IC!)

Kind-of obvious but old cell phones also have batteries and the phone may be disposed before the battery expires.  You have to deal with the infinite variety of terminals to connect a group of them together, so any given group should be matched.  Some of these tasks the kids can help with, depending on age and skill, of course, as you probably know well. 

Will you be teaching the kids skills like electric measurements, soldering, etc.?  What ages are involved?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca