Author Topic: Capacitors vs Batteries for home storage  (Read 16201 times)

Harold in CR

Capacitors vs Batteries for home storage
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:36:28 AM »

We have approximately 300 kwh usage per month.  Yeah, trivial compared to most. However, we just received another jolt to the butt from the local thieves to raise the rates to .28/ kwh.

Capacitor banks, are/were used by power companies, to smooth out spikes/lows in the distribution lines.

Could some of these be used in place of batteries? They last for years.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Capacitors vs Batteries for home storage
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »
Capacitors still have a tiny energy density compared to batteries, are are quite likely to have significant self-discharge unless designed for long-term storage, so unlikely IMHO.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
500 farad, 16 volts, $640 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxwell-Technologies/BMOD0500-P016-B01?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuDCPMZUZ%252BYl1%2F%2F0aiL7qGyNlANlKFOF%252BI%3D

The technology is there but economy of scale has yet to kick in... way to expensive for me! Especially for a 2.2 amp hour pack!

Harold in CR

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »
Was thinking about utility company type caps. They are probably a much higher voltage.

There is a group that is collecting positive ions from the air and storing that in the utility type caps.

They are getting in the thousands of volts at 130' altitude.

I  will start a discussion thread in a user diaries section. They are currently working with NASA.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
There are two Diary's sections.

https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/board,20.0.html     open board

https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/board,55.0.html      logged in board

JW

12248-0
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:46:24 PM by JW »

Harold in CR

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »
We discussed this a while back, JW. Which would you prefer? This will relate to Nikola Tesla's work at Wardencliffe. It needs to be kept civil and discussed in detail, not passed off as violating physics laws. It is real and is being demonstrated and  NASA is involved.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 10:42:43 PM »
I think Mary B, has provided a genuine contribution and I agree that the cost has not cought  up. you should use the open diary's section for this.  in building the forum from scratch, I just thought if there needs to be a section that is only visible when logged in. It just depends how much the topic drifts from our statutes queue.     

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 05:03:33 PM »
Was thinking about utility company type caps. They are probably a much higher voltage.

There is a group that is collecting positive ions from the air and storing that in the utility type caps.

They are getting in the thousands of volts at 130' altitude.

I  will start a discussion thread in a user diaries section. They are currently working with NASA.

I have built high power amateur radio amplifiers. The power supplies used 5kv 50mf capacitors. They would self charge from the air yes. But the amount of energy captured that way was low... a nasty shock if you brushed across the cap. Now when charged off the transformer they could produce 1 amp at 4kv(never run things at max voltage!) but they required a hefty 17 amps at 240 volts to power them... the amplifiers were only 50% efficiency so half that power is wasted as heat... a high power ham amplifier makes a great space heater in winter LOL

And I am adding a warning, playing with those voltages and currents can be DEADLY, I know people who have died, others have lost fingers when they got it across the high voltage... So be very very careful, use interlock systems that ground the capacitors when the chassis is opened...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 07:32:55 PM »
Just curious, doesn't it need a coil that the magnetic field collapse's to charge the Cap. I remember being educated about the Briggs Stratton magneto spark module. We wired up a lead to the cushion on a chair. we got a pulse and the guy got up and said I just got stung by something. We laughed  it off I guess... 

JW

Harold in CR

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 10:23:03 PM »
This is partly why i would like this topic to be fully discussed. The website i want to post, shows their entire system. Ben Franklin didn't use a coil to prove electricity was in the air.  ::) :)

Soon I will start the thread.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 09:56:29 AM »
could you make capacitors? they seem to be made of paper and aluminum foil. both of which i can buy at the grocery store.

Harold in CR

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »
I am looking for caps that are approximately 6" thick x 12" wide x 16" +/- tall. Power utility type stuff, along with lightning arrestors.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 06:05:40 PM »
Ebay...

10mf 3kv, this can deliver a lethal shock just form sitting on the bench un-grounded!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-MFD-3-KV-DC-Oil-Filled-Military-Capacitor-by-General-Electric-10-uF/163775931915?hash=item2621ce660b:g:7roAAOSwPqtdKgQo

120mf 3.5kv!!! If you play with this be aware, self charge on this can kill you! Keep it grounded when not in use! Or make sure the chassis has an interlock that grounds it!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/120-uF-3-5-kV-HIGH-VOLTAGE-OIL-FILLED-AEROVOX-VINTAGE-CAPACITOR-PX16D83/273922179766?hash=item3fc708c2b6:g:57QAAOSwuxFYtNws

Harold in CR

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »
Thanks for the caution advice, Mary. I have 12 years of lineman experience with this stuff. My biggest concern is lightning protection. Also, I will need to come up with a HV to LV circuit, so I can charge a battery bank.

I'm really going to have to start the new thread.

Thanks for those links, also.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:52:23 PM by Harold in CR »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »
DC to DC converter... I have never done HV to LV(the opposite yes! TV flyback circuits) so new territory... and voltages that may require the use of hollow state components aka vacuum tubes LOL

Harold in CR

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 05:16:12 PM »
In the new thread you recently posted to, there will be a very small very simple HV to LV circuit board that is actually in use, in one of the videos I will post.