Author Topic: Control for storage chest  (Read 4021 times)

salty

Control for storage chest
« on: October 03, 2019, 11:47:30 PM »
I'm looking  for ideas on a control for a decommissioned chest freezer that I use outdoors to store apples in over the winter. For most of the winter our climate is perfect for storing apples  outdoors with temperatures in the mid thirties to low forties ( F ). However we do have spells of freezing weather. During these periods it would be nice to have a control that turned a light bulb on in the chest to prevent freezing. Kind of the opposite of what the freezer control does. Like a furnace control but low temperature and higher voltage.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Control for storage chest
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »
perhaps a household thermostat with a light wired up instead of the compressor.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »
I've used these on a couple of projects... They can be set to turn on when the temperature rises to a set value, or falls to a set value. The Delta-temp can also be set...

... if China-made are ok, that is... ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:23:44 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

salty

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »
Perfect ! " just what the doctor ordered "

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
Great find. an upgrade of the W1209 board I'd get for $3 shipped. I always wondered why they never put the display and buttons on the other side.  Too bad I still have a half dozen I haven't used yet.  I have one that can't remember settings.