Author Topic: Hydro power for my workshop ??  (Read 3216 times)

Drg88

Hydro power for my workshop ??
« on: November 13, 2019, 06:16:38 PM »
Hey hey I have a workshop I'd love to take totally hydro powered.
I have a small wind turbine and its awsome but baught it made...

I have a demanding shed. 1500watts of power used 24/7 for my wood kiln and keeping my shop warm to avoid problems with my wood furniture I make.

Now I'm a welder and woodworker so I can make most builds just never touched electrics more then I had to..

I cant work out what motor would be best for my use. I've worked out a few but different sites tell me different things and so here I am...

1phase or 3 phase I cant work this out was told not to do 3phase but then I see the big boys at the old mills use them when i visited getting 6kw for his workshop lol.

I've done maths on ebay for weeks volt divide by rpm and x actual rpm x amp

So found a 3 phase ac 1400rpm with 415volt. That's on ebay 300quid. That's maths out at 0.26 1100watts kicking 500rpm delivering 142volt at 8amp

Am I correct in thinking if I got a 3000watt inverter to handle any extra rpm ofc.
This would deliver 2200watts to my workshop live off the inverter?
Any leftover charges batteries?

Treadmil.. now I got 2 motors. These range 50v to 280v 500rpm to 5krpm

234w 130v at 500rpm 1.8amp
1500watt 220v at 4600rpm 8amp

Amp x volt =watts or power

So what is a watt on a generator like I'd thaught tovlook for higher wattage not v x a x rpm

So the aim is 0.035volt min
And rule 5amp minimum.

To generate enough power..

Volt ÷rpm =power out.

220÷4600=0.047 and x500rpm (speed I get) 23.5volt x 0.8 efficiency 18.8volt

At 500rpm I get 18.8 volts
Power is v x a so 18.8x5amp = 150w?

Now why is there 2 volt... 220v then I do maths to work out 18.8 volt ?

The treadmill motors aren't powerful enough then only for concept tests...

So I'm working at confining my wheel in a tank I have and powering pumps to turn it...
I have 1 pump at the moment 135watts and 15.000lph which I am sure with the right science I can get a wheel spinning adequately or more pumps... more efficient pumps ..this is all I got on hand at the moment..

And ovcouse I've seen some wicked gearing ideas  in play like a 1.140 that's crazy and a 1 turn to 65k rpm..damn was in Lego mind lol.

Seen some cool gearing pulleys and chains. Cause as once told to me with enough pulleys and levers 1 man can move the world.
Learnt in tree surgery as I roped 300kg tree limbs as 70kg guy lol..

So I know I am crazy but please If it works il spend the money but i really need to try alt power on my shed . I need 1500watts on it

I cant workout how I know howma y volts will deliver that live without slow charging batteries

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
Re: Hydro power for my workshop ??
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 07:17:44 PM »
I'd be inclined to start with height and flow of water to see how much power is available before looking for a motor to convert.
You seem to have a pretty good idea of the output you require but will you have a battery/inverter system as the prime source and use the hydro to charge the batteries or are you anticipating using the power off the hydro directly. This will also affect things a great deal as the former would be sized for average power but the latter for peak power.

Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

mab

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:00:42 PM »
What Frackers said +1

Height of water and flow will dictate what size & rpm your generator will want to be - and whilst you can gear up/down to match, direct drive is better if possible.

I'd be looking for a 3phase motor - you can use the C - 2C excitation to get single phase output if you want it - unless you're planning to do a permanent magnet conversion.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 01:43:21 PM »
The basic knowledge about five different kinds of energy which are used in wind turbines are given in my public report KD 378 which can be copied for free from my website: www.kdwindturbines.nl at the menu KD-reports. Most of the information is also valid if the energy is generated by a water turbine. Water power is mostly available as potential energy (see chapter 5) but there is a relation with mechanical energy (see chapter 40. If the water falls dawn through a pipe, the potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy (see chapter 6). Direct use of the speed of the water in a river is also using the kinetic energy of the water, similar as the working of a wind turbine.