Author Topic: Charge 48v battery bank with 12v charger?  (Read 1780 times)

makenzie71

Charge 48v battery bank with 12v charger?
« on: November 21, 2019, 01:27:17 PM »
Well that's a stupid question, right? But I'm putting four 12v batteries in series for an experiment later.  I do not have a 48v charger so i'm assuming i'll just have to break the set up to charge them...I'm assuming that hooking the charger to just one battery in the series won't work, but i don't see why.  Hoping someone here can explain to me why it wouldn't work  :o

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Charge 48v battery bank with 12v charger?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 09:56:33 PM »
Um, if you have to, you can make it work. 
Best for the string of batteries to be open-circuit for the time you're charging them, and get them ALL to the same charge before connecting them back up.
Preferably the same current at the same float voltage.

Then use 'em up...

Then repeat the whole dreadful process again...

My turn for a stupid question:  Whatcha doing with 48V without a proper charger?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

Re: Charge 48v battery bank with 12v charger?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 10:36:49 PM »
My turn for a stupid question:  Whatcha doing with 48V without a proper charger?

Ha I was just over-thinking my situation and I honestly don't know what made my mind go down that path...but once I was there I just needed to satisfy that curiosity.  My plan was to charge at 48v but I'm just going to stick to 12vdc anyway.  12 seems so much easier to deal with.