Author Topic: Anyone want to help me with a regulator, rectifier, and diversion shopping list?  (Read 552 times)

makenzie71

One of the turbines I'm playing with came in missing a charge controller and was damaged a little.  The seller is reimbursing me $125 to rectify the situation.  The damage can be remedied with a hammer, though it won't be pretty to look at...wind don't care, though.  So I can drop the rest on a charge controller setup.

The goal is keeping a 24v battery bank charged, might eventually grid tie.  The turbine is rated for 750 watts...it's Chinese watts, but I'd rather have a setup capable of handling 750 American/European/Australian watts just in case.  The big thing, though, is I want to be able to put together and demonstrate a setup that's easy to understand and can be put together on a tight budget with stuff that's readily available on eBay or Amazon.  $125 is what I can spend, if I need to spend more it's fine, but I want it to be less AND be reliable/safe.  I know there's one item solutions to this out there, but they're a little pricier and I like the idea of piecing it together myself...the more I do this way the more I learn about this stuff.

makenzie71

ha or maybe not...after looking at a few DIY setups I don't think it's really in the realm of "anyone can do this".

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
About as simple as it gets, yet still a good kit: http://ghurd.info/
There's instructions to modify it into a 24V version are on the site, too.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Adriaan Kragten

On my website www.kdwindturbines.nl you find a manual of a 27.6 V, 200 W battery charge controller at the bottom of the menu KD-reports. This battery charge controller contains a voltage controller and a dump load with one transistor and two resistors. If you have to dissipate more than 200 W, several 200 W modules can be connected in parallel using the same voltage controller. Be alert that for a wind turbine, you can't use a battery charge controller which is designed for a solar panel as the voltage fluctuations of a wind turbine are much faster and the maximum open voltage can be much higher.

makenzie71

About as simple as it gets, yet still a good kit: http://ghurd.info/
There's instructions to modify it into a 24V version are on the site, too.

That is simple and to the point and I stumbled across it while I was snooping yesterday...and a few other things similar.  I still think it's a little too much to demonstrate in a way that everyone could understand and replicate.  There's too many items if you have to start with building a circuit board.  If the shopping list to finish a project is more than five things...well, a lot of people are easily discouraged :/

makenzie71

On my website www.kdwindturbines.nl you find a manual of a 27.6 V, 200 W battery charge controller at the bottom of the menu KD-reports. This battery charge controller contains a voltage controller and a dump load with one transistor and two resistors. If you have to dissipate more than 200 W, several 200 W modules can be connected in parallel using the same voltage controller.

First, your website is great. I spend a lot of time sifting through your stuff...it's both fascinating and seemingly endless and it's well designed.  And popular.  I asked this same question in a facebook group and someone linked me to your controller.  I'm going to play with yours or the ghurd one with one of these little turbines but I think it's a little overwhelming for what I had in mind.

I'm using the opportunity to test another cheap chinese trinket.

Be alert that for a wind turbine, you can't use a battery charge controller which is designed for a solar panel as the voltage fluctuations of a wind turbine are much faster and the maximum open voltage can be much higher.

Nah everything is going to go through a charge controller designed for a turbine, and then to batteries or an inverter.