Author Topic: small finds  (Read 1401 times)

kitestrings

small finds
« on: December 17, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »
Some early slip-sliding about on the icy roads, and my painter friend has gotten rather busy at his shop.  My windmill parts and pieces are all prepped and ready for him.  If he weren't so darn good at it, I'd be impatient.

In the meantime, I've been catching up on some of the home-front projects.  We had a really rough patch of winds back at Halloween, and over the summer I've accumulated a lot of wood from our maple orchard.  Had a neighbor/trucker bring me a load (the sugarplace about 7-miles from my home).  A few of these maple logs where quite large, and without spending too much time, it looks like some have a history of maybe 75-80 years of being tapped; every year:
12470-0

12471-1

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: small finds
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
I've never burned any maple, how many years after felling does it season out well enough to split and burn?
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Harold in CR

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
I have seen photos of lumber sawn from "tapped" maple trees. Some was really breathtaking.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 01:55:29 PM »
Maples...  one of the cut when sap has not risen, get it out in middle of winter, or it will rapidly self-destruct wood types.

With no choice in the matter? Get it off the ground, cut up and stacked under cover ASAP.

A good Northern Maple is very high-energy fuel, the Southern varieties with faster growth still are great and split easier but lighter weight so less energy.

Maple will not split itself that's for sure - lots of limb joints and crotches just put straight into firebox even speaking hydraulic!  :)

As to aging it? Depends on how cold one gets.. .

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »
Good smoking wood too, very subtle flavor...

MattM

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
Some of that would looks like elm.

kitestrings

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 08:55:16 PM »
Nope.  It is almost all maple.  There's one or two yellow birch and a couple very small ash; the rest is maple.  The 'greenest' one, closest to the woodshed, took power out to about five of my neighbors in a recent wind storm (felt bad about that).

Regarding drying time - nothing I'm cutting here will be used this winter, or likely next, but next winter would work.  Many sources deliver in the fall for that winters use.  I prefer to cut in winter, mainly because it skids out with less damage, and less mud/dirt to dull the saw.

I like to have it in the shed for at least a year, preferably two.  This shed's big enough that we have that luxury.  We pull from one section/side, and fill the opposite.  If it were all stacked it'd hold about 14 cords.  We usually stack just the outside tiers, and then toss in beyond and above that point.

kitestrings

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 09:13:12 PM »
Something you might like is this bar-mounted sharpener.  When I first got it, I used it and nearly put it back in the box (thinking meh, keep my file).  Fortunately, I gave it another try or two.  I love this thing now.  It's 12VDC, and we almost always have a tractor or vehicle near enough.  With the right size, shaped wheel, and light passes it does a great job, with no where near the effort of filing.  The set up takes a minute or two, but after that it is fast; very accurate.

12512-0

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 09:41:31 PM »
Something you might like is this bar-mounted sharpener.  When I first got it, I used it and nearly put it back in the box (thinking meh, keep my file).  Fortunately, I gave it another try or two.  I love this thing now.  It's 12VDC, and we almost always have a tractor or vehicle near enough.  With the right size, shaped wheel, and light passes it does a great job, with no where near the effort of filing.  The set up takes a minute or two, but after that it is fast; very accurate.

(Attachment Link)
I have the Oregon bench mounted grinder. I usually keep 3 spare chains in my saw case and just change them out when they get dull after 2 or 3 in the field filings
 then sharpen them on the grinder. I fide the grinder fiddly at best no where near the quality sharpening as a commercial chain grinder the set angle does not form the proper compound profile and once a chain has been put through the grinder unlike a commercial grinder the profile no longer works for a file but it goes a good enough job to allow the use of the chains for a few more sharpening's
 The dead mesquite that I cut will dull a chain in a tank of gas sometimes in less than a tank full   
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin