Author Topic: what kind of resin?  (Read 2113 times)

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
what kind of resin?
« on: December 26, 2019, 12:39:37 PM »
i bought an old wood chipper / shredder. tore it down and freed up  the seized flails and sharpened up the cutting surfaces . its a Briggs engine and the gas tank is badly corroded. someone smeared a layer of bondo on the bottom of the tank to  stop the gas leak. i guess it worked for awhile but not working anymore .
i would like to pour some resin IN the tank and swirl it around to coat the inside service. i don't think polyester would last very long . i wonder if another kind of resin like epoxy might and resist the gasoline ?

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: what kind of resin?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5947ME  <--- POR-15 kit. for $45ish

Dinky little can of sealer, might be able to pour off half into sealed container and save for next project - water vapor in air starts catalyst reaction, I've decanted quarts into 8oz jars pouring through a bath of canned air or argon and stored okay for a couple of years..

The degreaser and zinc phosphate will have lots of leftover and handy for ten other projects, be sure to exaggerate water rinses after zinc etch and get 101% dry before final tank coat...

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 03:51:07 PM »
hey thanks a lot . saves me trying to reinvent the wheel

makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:11:42 AM »
POR-15 is the best for this kind of project.  I use it in almost all my motorcycle tanks and I have used it to line a number of other parts.

That said, though, if there's holes in the tank you might be better off just replacing the tank.  Briggs tanks can be had super cheap on eBay and amazon.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »
thanks for responding . i checked out the tank from my old snow blower motor but  it has a different carburetor layout . i don't need this thing till spring .  the Canadian price for this Por 15 stuff is 80 dollars. the kit includes a lot of stuff i don't need and only 1/2 pint of resin .  i don't want to invest that much .  i think i will clean out the tank like the you tube videos show and then pour in some kind of two part resin. .

it might be a way to burn my shop down but i was considering a way of heating some polyethylene to a liquid  state on my wood stove and then pouring that in  and swirling it around. letting it harden up. since the pin holes are on the bottom of the tank perhaps just depositing  a layer of  plastic chips in the tank and then heating the whole thing up on the stove might  seal the pinholes up .
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:47:02 AM by electrondady1 »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 11:39:56 AM »
Maybe look into R/C Model paints? 

There are other brands of same technology sealant - The degreaser and zinc etching is optional - that smallest size can of sealer is the magic...

Remember modern gasoline is a cocktail of refinery left-overs: Naphthas, benzene, toluene, xylene, alcohols, ethers, butane, and pentanes, any one of which might poison an otherwise good resin. The effort to re-do the project and chance of carburetor damage would lead me back to the expensive stuff.

makenzie71

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
thanks for responding . i checked out the tank from my old snow blower motor but  it has a different carburetor layout . i don't need this thing till spring .  the Canadian price for this Por 15 stuff is 80 dollars. the kit includes a lot of stuff i don't need and only 1/2 pint of resin .  i don't want to invest that much .  i think i will clean out the tank like the you tube videos show and then pour in some kind of two part resin. .

it might be a way to burn my shop down but i was considering a way of heating some polyethylene to a liquid  state on my wood stove and then pouring that in  and swirling it around. letting it harden up. since the pin holes are on the bottom of the tank perhaps just depositing  a layer of  plastic chips in the tank and then heating the whole thing up on the stove might  seal the pinholes up .

You actually do need all the stuff that comes in the prep kits and if you don't use them there's a good chance the epoxy won't adhere to the metal.  A pint of epoxy will go a long way, though.

What model briggs is it?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 05:54:26 PM »
Smaller kit made for motorcycles and lawn mowers https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lawn-Mower-Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-Liner-Kit,73781.html Still $32