Author Topic: Note sure fo teh best section for this, but a little gadget to log output  (Read 1981 times)

makenzie71

I asked around some time back looking for a meter that would show inverter output in the same way that these little things show and display rectified output.  Didn't have a lot of luck.  Some people provided me instructions for how to build one, but the cost and effort didn't really justify what I was doing...it wasn't required information, just something I thought would be neat to know.

I saw a few people in youtube videos using a gadget similar to this to show inverter output going back into either the grid or to AC appliances being currently powered.  So I picked out up.  Turns out some of them are reversible, but most of them seem to be usage meters only...one way flow.  When I plugged the inverter into it all it showed was overload.

I tried wiring it in backwards, though, and it works very well.  I was able to improvise the "backwards" bit by cutting and splicing some old cables and caps I already head...if you had to go to the store and buy materials to do it it'd be less than $20 worth of stuff.  So for under $30 you can have one of these things showing inverter output, max/min watts, max/min amps, current voltage, and even calculate kwh cost if you're plugging it back into the grid.

just found it to be a neat tool and thought I would share.

noneyabussiness

Re: Note sure fo teh best section for this, but a little gadget to log output
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 03:50:23 PM »
If you have a battery,  these work exceptionally well...

AU $40.06  25%OFF | DC 400V 300A Wireless Bi-directional Voltmeter Ammeter Capacity Volt Power Meter Tester Tools

You will have to seach the  above on aliexpress, as i cannot " post links"..

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
Hi this forum has been around for years. Do to experience with spammers we limit new users ability to post links to have 20 posts. Happy New Year!

makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 04:32:37 PM »
If you have a battery,  these work exceptionally well...

AU $40.06  25%OFF | DC 400V 300A Wireless Bi-directional Voltmeter Ammeter Capacity Volt Power Meter Tester Tools

You will have to seach the  above on aliexpress, as i cannot " post links"..

This?  That logs rectified output off the turbine but I was looking for something that would show AC output from the inverter into the grid.  I'm using these between the rectifiers and batteries.  This way I can measure what's coming off the turbines, and how much is actually making it through the system to the grid (seeing how efficient my inverter is).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 07:20:07 PM by DamonHD »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
I am not certain (trying to read the aliexpress details...) that it is capable of reading AC at all.  It's best not to assume these things.  The example LCD displays say "xxxAH" and "xxxWH" meaning amp-hours and watt-hours, which are not measurements typically associated with AC power, but rather with battery DC power.  The on-board shunt with nuts also implies DC, not AC.

This is the first applicable hit on ebay [ not a recommendation ] 
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PZEM-022-100A-AC-Digital-Meter-Power-Energy-Voltage-Current-Test-with-Close-New/274084284368?_trkparms=ispr%3D1

The current-measuring loop is the give-away that you're looking for.  I have something similar.  It works. 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

This is the first applicable hit on ebay [ not a recommendation ] 
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PZEM-022-100A-AC-Digital-Meter-Power-Energy-Voltage-Current-Test-with-Close-New/274084284368?_trkparms=ispr%3D1

The current-measuring loop is the give-away that you're looking for.  I have something similar.  It works.

ewww it's in canadian dollars! :P

I'm going to end up picking a couple of those up (or something really similar) so I can measure output off each inverter and then combined output at the wall.

noneyabussiness

You are right , can only read DC... was just adding a suggestion to anothers post that may be helpful