Author Topic: Solar panel tab wire burned, need to be fix  (Read 996 times)

fabieville

Solar panel tab wire burned, need to be fix
« on: March 06, 2020, 12:37:55 AM »
My solar panel tab wire/buss bar that is used to connect 2 of the solar cells strings in series is showing burn marks and because of this the current flow is cut off between the cells so i am getting very low voltage output.

Is there anyway to fix this issue without affecting the lifespan of the panel and if this is unavoidable then can you suggest the best way possible to remedy this problem and get back the panel to be showing the correct voltage output?
I upload some pics so you can see the extent of the damage.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Re: Solar panel tab wire burned, need to be fix
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 10:59:03 AM »
I've fixed bad soldering on similar places by using a butane torch carefully to soften the plastic backside, and digging my way clear. :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

glort

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 05:25:00 PM »

Looks like it's had a bit of water ingress as well on the edge or is starting to.

I pick up used panels from Dumpsters and at the scrap yard all the time.  Tell a lie really, I have so many, I don't bother picking them up any more. They are being thrown away all the time these days so just get a replacement panel and be done with it. 
Not worth Mucking around trying to fix and old one and although all my system is made from used panels, I wouldn't be putting one that's had the backing compromised and a solder job done on it in an array running 400V @8a or even in a low voltage system I relied on.
Running fans in the shed window is OK but that's all I'd be trusting a repair job to.

Just find a replacement that's been thrown away that's in good nick and you don't have to worry about fixing it or if it will be OK.

I have had a LOT of panels and I have never had one with this problem yet. Might have been badly handled at some time not that the ones I have had were treated like babies. 

tanner0441

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 03:10:44 PM »
Hi

Assuming you can get at the fault, I had a problem with the connector to the panel. I bought copper strip from Ebay with conductive adhesive, press it down firmly. with the handle of a screwdriver. I needed to solder to it so I had to have copper, you can get window foil for alarm systems that is aluminium.

It must have conductive adhesive.

Brian