Author Topic: Sun Sled  (Read 2041 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Sun Sled
« on: March 08, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »
A friend of mine (Pierre B.) gave me some old PV panels, with a challenge: Find a novel way to put them to use.

So I put them on a sled.   ;D
I can drag them around and provide power to various things.
No... not very useful...  yet...

It folds down when being dragged around:

The panels are old amorphous things.  6 Volts open-circuit and 7 Amps short-circuit.  So I have them connected all in series and they do actually produce 36V.  And nothing seems to be wrong with the wiring because in the full sun I measured up to 7.6 Amps shorted.  These can be brought around beside my main 24V battery stack for additional charging, unless I choose to take them somewhere else.

Since we have horses, there are lots of electric fences.  I'm going to get a battery-powered electric fence unit and see if I can't get it to work from the solar - perhaps even without the battery at all and just run it directly from the solar panels.  Horses only need to be zapped once in a while to maintain respect for a fence, so it's OK for the electric fence to be active only during the day.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:17:55 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Sun Sled
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 06:54:38 PM »
Been thinking about this topic for a day or two now. It seem to have a primitive sun tracker(i:e you :)  but is highly accurate. also being in bright white snow helps the refractive index...

Heres one for our Canadian users :)

Rush - Subdivisions (Official Music Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU   

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 09:38:52 PM »
I got some numbers, now.

I guess about 4 ohm load will be OK for either sun or cloud.

I think I could connect it to a heat tape or several of them in parallel to get close to 4 ohm. 
I'd only get 170W through them all, but of course it's free, portable, and adjustable.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

skid

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:11:50 AM »
I've been using a cheap Canadian tire solar panel to power my electric fence for years. I use a battery powered zapper to keep bears out of my orchard. They definitely respect the fence although a few really hungry ones tunnel under it.

I have to mention as well that I've seen a ~400 pound black bear hop the fence at almost a full gallop when it was only 5 feet tall. Quite amazing to see actually. 6 feet seems to have stopped that.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 06:22:46 PM »
I used them to fill-in while the turbine was down for maintenance recently.

12873-0

Electric fences: yeah.  Bears?  no thank you.
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 08:53:06 AM »
SparWeb;
I was going to ask about those amorphous types. From an earlier picture , it looked like the wood was blocking parts of them.
This is a better pic.

Nice little sled ya got there.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 01:04:17 AM »
I see what you mean.  The panels have these big plastic frames, and one edge is almost 4" wide.  For whatever reason...  I never saw them in their original application.  Probably intended for RV's or something.
www.sparweb.ca