Author Topic: Using BadBoy charger for 30S battery  (Read 4612 times)

Harold in CR

Using BadBoy charger for 30S battery
« on: March 23, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »

Down here, in the jungle, I am working on my 3 wheel tadpole motorcycle. I have a 30S Chevy Volt battery module mounted low in the remodeled motorcycle frame.

I have read some stuff online about these Bad Boy chargers. A very recent post by Ruddycrazy has stated that a F&P washing machine motor of maybe 240V could be tamed with some capacitors placed inline on the 3 phase wires to control amps.

Here, we have 120V single phase  available, that runs between 116v and 118v from house outlets.  My battery has a nominal voltage output of 111v but, the full charge, which I want to tame a bit is 126v of Lithium battery pack. I would like to maintain a charge of say 15-20A into the battery and monitor closely, which would be no problem for me, But, have been told there is no acceptable way to control the amps from the Power Co. input from the house, into the battery. I would also use the battery for my small sawmill, which would not be a major draw except for the actual cutting of each board, then removing and positioning the log. I just want to keep a decent voltage and capacity in the battery as I use it.

There are no such 120V 20A , chargers available down here and buying/shipping from US of A would be prohibitive regarding my budget.  If more info is needed, I can provide it. Is there a safe way to accomplish what I want to do ?

Thanks for any useful info/advice.  Harold

MagnetJuice

Re: Using BadBoy charger for 30S battery
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »
Harold, if it was me, I would start with something like this:

12742-0

A bit dangerous, but I am sure that you know how to deal with that kind of stuff. Add a voltmeter and ammeter and you end up with a fully adjustable battery charger.

If the Lithium batteries don't like the ripple and unregulated output, it would not be too hard to add a regulator and filters to that circuit.

I bought one of those 20 Amp Variacs a few weeks ago for 90 US$. They are handy for a lot of stuff.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:48:03 PM by MagnetJuice »
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

Harold in CR

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:58:30 AM »
Variacs were listed as part of the solution. Run caps for electric motors was also listed as a way to help control the amps input into the battery.

There is a circuit drawing put out by Mr. Ron Bonn that is supposed to be the best way to make the charger, but, I just don't understand electronics.

https://www.electric-cars-are-for-girls.com/battery-charger-schematic.html This is the circuit and appropriate information related to these chargers.

Those that criticize my wants are claiming there is no sufficient clamping of the extreme amperage that the battery would draw from a 15A fused house circuit, and I could be electrocuted in the process of trying this. As stated, I am very capable of putting electricity to use with safe procedures. I am just completely dumb about the Amps thing.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »
PWM circuit for the output...

Harold in CR

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 09:07:24 AM »
Variac on ebay for $70.00 free shipping.  Found a 30A for $75.00 free shipping. Reading the specs says steel shell (copper coil/lightweight)?  This sounds like copper coated aluminum coil wire, no ?
Besides a motor run cap what else would I need ?

Thanks for the info MJ and Mary.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:42:12 AM by Harold in CR »

MagnetJuice

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 03:28:27 AM »
Harold, I built a small power supply to test different values of capacitance and measured the results.

It is interesting to see how increasing the capacitor value increases the voltage and decreases the amps.
Maybe one of the electronics people in the Forum can explain the results of the tests in this table.

I understand that the battery of the Chevy VOLT is rated at 360 Volts. There must be an internal charger in the car that increases the charging voltage high enough to charge the 360 volts battery.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:31:07 PM by MagnetJuice »

glort

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 05:30:45 AM »
PWM circuit for the output...

Exactly what I was thinking.
20A for a couple of decent Mosfets is a walk in the park. 4-600V is also no big deal at all.
Bridge rectifier to convert the AC to DC, smoothing caps... you are there. 
I have been using low Voltage battery chargers and Arduinos with a Voltage divider to sense 300V+ From solar panels and PWM ing that to various small Loads and for battery charging.
Pretty basic stuff and you can set the threshold values on the chargers or arduino to what you want.

Anything relying on resistance is going to get hot and waste power.  PWM is far more efficient and just as controllable . 

You can set up an arduino driving some fets with a Pot to adjust the pulse width and put a couple of meters on to measure the amps and volts to manually control any output.
Write a bit of code to stage the charging so it tapers off as needed once the set points are hit and you have something full auto and completely programmable to what you want.   

I'm surprised the EV crowd haven't done something like this  a long time ago.

Harold in CR

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
OK. I appreciate the electronic ideas submitted, but, transformers are being suggested by some.

If I understand transformers, they reduce voltage, correct ? I do not want to reduce voltage, just run 117-118 house voltage to charge my nominal 111V output battery, which is full charge at 126V or 4.2V/cell, which I want to avoid. 3.9V /cell is 117V, which would assist the battery under moderate usage.

I just ? want to control the amps by capacitors or something I can make here, like an inductor from a used electric motor shell ?  with good windings, maybe. I have some used magnet wire but nothing that I know would be good for the core to wind the wire around.

Used to have an electric pressure washer and a 12Ga. extension cord. If it was allowed to be coiled as I used it, the whole extension would get warm pretty. That was also explained in the link to the Bad Boy Charger reference in my earlier posts.

I have amp meters, both analog and digital, 2-3 VOMs several car alternators, a few motor shells and rotors,  stuff like that, just no electronics. Is there any way I could McGuyver something out of this type stuff ?

Not understanding electronics is my major flaw in this project, but, what would have been used 50 years ago, before solid state electronics became available ?  With this world wide virus shutting down everything, especially shipping to down here, it's very difficult to maneuver.

Thanks for trying to assist this thick headed old fart. It is VERY much appreciated.

glort

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 09:00:06 PM »

I hear you.  I know BEANS about electronics but using an arduino, a resistor, a Mosfet and a heat sink is something you can look up online  and educate your self in well under an hour.  You don't have to know it all.  I have just been learning for about a year and discovered a few incredibly basic things that have opened up a whole world of things I have wanted to do for years.  Simple things like Voltage dividers that require 2 Resistors are so simple it's laughable BUT, when you don't know about them, it sure blocks a lot of options.

I too am comfortable with electrics. Played with batterys and wires since I was a kid. Now set up my own solar systems with over 20KW of panels, Play with generators, IMAGs and everything else. I understand the difference between electrics In wiring stuff up and electronics real well. Just like I can do pretty much anything around the Hose with electrics, I woudn't want to go try wiring up the switchboard in  a factory.
Same with electronics.  The basics allow you to do a lot of things but that's different to building your own 5Kw Inverter... which lots of the Geniuses do all the time.

I have wanted to do Direct solar water heating for a few years. All the commercial options are Bull$#|+ expensive and pretty marginal in a lot of cases.  I'm now Modifying existing boards with a few components which are working perfectly and one of the gurus designed a circuit and board which is very simple which I have built up and am testing with a view to offering the things for sale.  They will handle KW's of power at mains voltages on mains elements where a lot of things out there now are really have quite pathetic power handling and are more toy than practical despite their often $500-$1000 price range. The one I built is bare bones as it comes, No monitoring ( other than a flashing indicator Light) No bells and Whistles, easy as anything to build like a kids Kit and just enough to drive a resistance element with huge power handling and excellent efficiency and not a thing more.

Like I said, I know beans but I have learned a few of the very basics and that makes a HUGE difference to what one can do. There is a LOT of info on the net but if you can get the help of some of the electronic Geniuses out there on forums, that is an asset to behold in itself.  I have found that a lot of these Gurus are retired people and if they see you are interested, prepared to do your homework and put in some effort, they are VERY helpful people indeed.

When ever I ask a question I try to put in my thoughts and the reasons why at the same time,. this shows I am trying to understand and they can then correct or confirm what I'm thinking.  I can't design anything but the most rudimentary circuit but I can modify things to suit what I want and although my knowledge is extremely Limited to the area of Interest I have, Power control, just understanding the theroy give great insight as well.

I know one can look at it and Not understand a damn thing and be frustrated as all get out but If you stay with it, things will drop into place pretty quick.  Look up things like  PWM ( Pulse width Modulation), Mosfets, Voltage dividers, Rectifier Bridges for a start.  That will all be relevant to what you want to know and get you going.

As for how things were done 50 years ago, I don't have a clue. I also suspect that both this type of thing was not done anywhere but an industrial scale and would be too expensive now and that the components would be hard to get.  You mention transformers but the last time I looked, to get a transformer of that power handling you want would be expensive, probably hard to get and weight a ton and therefore cost a bomb in  postage as well.

OTOH,  using a pre built PWM controller and a mosfet or 2 Will be readily available, Cheap, small and compact and do an infinitely better job.  You could also find endless  designs on the web you can strip down ( as most will be overly complex) and just build something really simple.
I modified the most simple Arduino program of all which makes an LED flash on and off and built a real simple circuit off that with 4 Components and it runs one of my solar heater designs and would be entirely suitable for what you want to do as well. Would have the exact parameters you want to give you full voltage at reduced Current. That's what PWM primarily does.

It's not hard as it seems either. You just have to be willing to learn. I'm thick as 2 bricks and things don't sink in to easy but this stuff is no where near as difficult as the overwhelming thing it seems. Idea is to take little bites, not try to rebuild your television set after an hours reading.

A transformer will work by limiting power and causing the voltage to sag. You turn up the power and the load voltage is pulled up.
In between there is a lot of heat and wasted power. I don't know how to control the amps by capacitors but in playing with Induction motors and converting them to generators, I have a feeling the size and rating of the caps you need are NOT going to be cheap.
Plus again it's really inefficient and ugly way of doing it.

I think if you put in a bit of learning time you'll probably be able to do this faster than find a conventional solution and a lot cheaper as well.
Give it a go. Not as hard as You might think and certainly not as hard as I thought.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 09:57:20 AM »
Harold;
Transformers can be used both ways. As a step-down or step-up.
Long before Arduinos came along single little chips were used to build PWM circuits. Lookup 555 for PWM.

If you go the transformer route, just remember there's no free lunch ( you've built enough stuff this is probably a no-brainer :) ) if you step up voltage the amperage goes down.

Cheers
Bruce  S
Stay Safe
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

mab

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 03:21:51 PM »
magnetjuice:
I'm afraid i can't make sense of your table or results: something's squiffy; the open cct volts are plausible, as are the loaded volts, but - by definition of ohms law, the voltage across a resistor is proportional to the amps going through it. So if you have ~10v across a 5ohm resistor you should see ~2amps - which you do; but if you have ~14v across 5ohms then the current will be ~ 2.8A. Maybe you had a loose connection to your resistor?

Harold
If your going to go down the route of badboy chargers I'd seriously consider getting hold of a variable transformer if you can - they make hack jobs like this so much easier - not least because you can wind up the supply to your experimental charger slowly until you see the ammeter move, rather than throwing a switch and getting the bang, flash & puff of smoke when somethings not right. Also they can be setup to go from 0 - 100% mains volts but also 0- 110% or more alowwing you to push above mains voltage if necessary.

the charger cct you linked seems to rely on being connected to the supply via long extension leads to use the resistance of the flex as a current limiting/stabilising feature, but also uses an inductor with switchable taps: I've had some success using a standard mains transformer as a series inductor like this, although if you want to go to 20A you need one with a fairly heavy winding - do you have any welding transformers handy?

MagnetJuice

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 06:27:32 PM »
mab, I know exactly what you are saying. I was puzzled when I took the readings with the larger capacitors in the circuit and saw the decrease in amperage. I double-checked the connections and to be sure, I tried two other capacitors of the 4,700 and 10,000 values. The measurements with the different capacitors were very similar, within 10%. That is understandable due to the rating tolerance of electrolytic capacitors.

Even with the three lower value capacitors, you see the decreasing value of amps as the capacitance increases. Why is it that increasing the value of the capacitor decreases the amperage? There has to be an explanation for that. That is not one of my areas of expertise. I hope that someone can explain it.

Ed

mab

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 07:13:42 PM »
Ed, just had a brainwave! What sort of ammeter were you using? The only explanation I can think of is if the ammeter was set to a.c. amps not d.c.:- thus it's reading the ripple in the current flow not the current flow - the ripple would of course decrease as cap value increases.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 08:39:06 PM »
mab, yes, your brainwave was the right frequency.  :D

I was using a Fluke 179 to measure current and forgot to switch the range to DC amps.
Thank you for giving this some thought and finding the error.

Here is a table with the correct measurements. I used a 4 ohm resistor for the load this time.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:42:30 AM by MagnetJuice »

Harold in CR

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 09:12:51 AM »
No old welder coils available. Down here, anything not being used is scrapped.  ::)

I bought a book for trying to learn electronics, and had it in my suitcase as I was at the bus stop to head for the airport. My plan was to read the book while sitting overnight at the airport. My Son called and said he cancelled my flight ticket because I might not get to return home. He was right.
My trip was to do machining of parts to bring back and lots of stuff I need to keep going on projects, all this, including medicine for my wife.

Well, here I sit, trying to make chicken soup out of chicken $#|+ ::)

Sorry I can't seem to get this stuff through my head, even though I have an O scope and signal generator sitting here that I acquired with a small business and Technician included that knew electronics. I tried to get him to help me understand electronics, but, it was all "secret sauce" and that was why I hired him. Nuff said

I will keep throwing stuff up against the wall and see what sticks, and hope everyone that has tried to help will not abandon me.

Doing a house extension for the wife and trying to get my 3 wheel motorcycle built along with this electronic stuff.   Many thanks for all the advice and, I will keep working on this elecronics stuff.   
Harold in CR

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
Harold ;
In regards to the 3-wheeler. What type of motor are you looking at? AC ,, DC and voltage.

Cheers

Stay Safe
Bruce S

mab

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 04:33:20 PM »
MJ: Aha! i do like it when a mystery is solved :)  I was asking what type of ammeter as analogue ones tend to read total amps including d.c. even when set to a.c., but digital ones only see the a.c. component usually.

Harold:
ok, no ready made transformer coils then, and for the moment, I assume no variac.

So if you're going from 120v ac (170v peak) to 110 -120ish v d.c then at peak voltage 170 there's going to be ~60v pushing current through to the battery. to limit current without electronics you can use inductors or capacitors or resistors:

1st thought is an unpolarised capacitor on the a.c. side of the bridge rectifier; so the current that will flow into a 110v battery should be (not sure my maths is right but I'll wait and see if someone sees a hole):-

I = 60 (voltage diff peak to battery) * C (in farads) * 120 (I assume 60Hz a.c.)

so C = I/(60*120)

so if I = 10Amps (for example)  then C = 10/7200 = 0.001389 = 1389uF  that's quite a few motor caps!

another way of limiting current I find works well is a good old light bulb - at low currents the filament is cold and has quite a low resistance, but as you approach it's nominal current so it gets hot and the resistance goes up; and if you can use a 120v lamp then even if you short the output of your charger, all that happens it the light comes on. :) The issue may be finding light bulbs to give you a current of 10 or 20 amps - i don't know what lamps are available for 120v (i'm on 230v) but with pressure to move to more efficient forms of lighting, large incandescent lamps are being phased out. But a 1000w lamp should be ~8.333 amps ( Amps = power / volts), so 2 or 3 or 4 or maybe 5 or6 of those in parallel if you can find them should put you in the right ball park. I.e. I'd start with one and see what charge current you get.

You could try winding some wire on an iron motor core for an inductor, but if it were me doing it I'd have to try, say, 20 turns and see what it did rather than by calculation, so I'd still need a lamp or a variac to limit the current whilst experimenting.

hope that helps
marcus
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:46:41 PM by mab »

Harold in CR

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 05:30:09 PM »
Bruce S
I have an AC15 or AC20 3 phase AC motor and controller, but, controller is 96V rated.

Have a 6 phase hubmotor that is stripped down for mid drive setup. It is affected by slower winding so not enough RPM's for highway riding in these hills. This is where the 126V-- 111V nominal battery comes in.

Also, just spend half a day trying to get a 24V 150A Leece Neville alternator to run as a motor. At the possibility of 14+ HP available, I would like to see how that6 would work out.  Also, have an option for several Nissan Leaf modules to up the voltage for more RPM's as the 2 AC-altermotors can do up to 8000
RPM's.

MAB, Flood lights are all the serious light bulbs available here.  I have 240V 4500W water heater element that would put a clamp on the amps while heating water, that is always useful. 

Other than that, until crisis eases and shipping is possible, OR, I get to fly up to Florida and gather my stuff including the machining I need to do, then, a Variac would be possible.

mab

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
I expect that water heater will have a cold resistance of 12 or 13 ohms - with just 60v peak you're not going to get a lot of current through it. You might try a motor - anything that has a low impedance which rises as the current flow increases.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 08:37:54 PM »
Counting on the possibility that a Variac will be used to charge the battery, I put together a rig that I can use for testing. I wanted to build something like this anyways, so now I have it ready for other projects.

This Variac has an output of 16 Amps continuous at up to 130 Volts. The bridge rectifier is rated at 50 Amps at 1000 volts. For a load, I will use nichrome wire from a dryer heating element. That way I can run different tests while varying the resistance of the load.

I mounted the rectifier on an old heat sink from one of my old computers. The heatsink has a fan just in case that I need to cool it.

I need to go to the store now to pick up some supplies. If it is not too late after I come back, I can run some tests. Or wait until tomorrow. I think I am going to get a 24 oz. can of beer and just relax for today. Lay back and think about how great is going to be when this nasty virus is gone and we will be allowed to run free again.

Ed

Harold in CR

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 10:43:43 PM »
Thought the water heater element would provide enough resistance.

Let the magic smoke out of a 48V charger today.  >:(

MJ, what would you guess the weight of that variac to be? Might overload the weight limit of my suitcases.

Anything over 50 pounds is automatic $150.00.  ???

MagnetJuice

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 11:18:40 PM »
The Variac in that picture weights 18 Lbs. If you can buy one from Amazon or eBay, the shipping to CR shouldn't be that much. A lot of those products are sold by Chinese people who have warehouses in the U.S. and are willing to ship for free sometimes. The competition is high for them, they just want to make a sale.

Ed

glort

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:50 PM »
If one were hard pressed one could always make their own liquid Resistor.

Get a couple of plates and put them in series in the circuit between the battery and power source ( rectified if using AC) in a vessel of some sort.
Add salt water or water with KOH in it till you get the current  you want going into the battery.

You are making a kettle so you might want to sink this in another container of water or cool it some way depending on how long you need to run it.

I made one of these using a large piece of PVC pipe with a cap on it.  Put some threaded rod through the top going into Multiple plates on the bottom with a bit of  rubber  keeping the opposing plates on the other terminal from touching.

IF you wire one leg through this you get a variable resistor you can  use the liquid level and concentration of electrolyte to control the amps you want.  If you wire to both sides it can make a very powerful dump load for testing generator outputs etc.

Harold in CR

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 08:34:07 AM »
MJ, as I stated earlier, all steel and copper should be heavy. I had a large pancake shaped one in the states that was probably 50 pounds. Shipping down here is tricky. Mostly by bus and the mail really sux. Besides, the streets are fairly empty from the virus. When they start releasing the pressure on travel, I may get one from ebay and carry it down or ship it by boat with other items I need.

Right now, shipping is risky. They think nothing of taking whatever they want. A year ago, they opened a crate and took 4 steak knives and a pair of new shoes.  We changed the screw head type since then. That has stopped it, so far. At the central mail center, one old lady that had to inspect the package, took a 12-24V shiny chrome bike headlight while my wife could not see over the high counter.

Glort, that is an interesting way to make a resistor.   

MagnetJuice

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 05:36:26 PM »
I needed to know if the toroid coil in my transformer was solid copper or copper-clad aluminum. It is wound with .046 inch – 1.16 mm (17 Ga.) solid copper wire. So for US $90 and free shipping it was a good buy.

Before I took of the cover, I set the dial to 0 volts, so that is where the brushes are setting. The red wire in the picture is the tap at the 120 volts output. From that red wire to the end of the dial, the output voltage increases to the maximum, which is 130 volts.

I plugged the rig that I made and connected the output to a small section of the dryer element. I turned the dial for about 90 volts output and the heating element got red hot. My wife wanted to roast marshmallows over it. Sounds like a good idea. Maybe this evening we get the kids away from their computers and have a picnic in the living room.  :D

Ed

Harold in CR

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »
Good to know. Thanks  8)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 08:52:33 AM »
That is a good buy!
I would've guessed it to be copper clad steel.

Ahh you've just invented the new Smorroers roaster!
  :o

MagnetJuice

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2020, 11:58:11 PM »
I wanted to do a test of the 20 Amp (peak) Variac to see if it would be suitable to use as a battery charger. To read the DC current, I had planned to use a 052-0052-2 Mastercraft meter from Canadian Tire that it is supposed to be good for 20 amps DC. Well, it doesn’t do 20 amps. They have been selling that same model number for many years and before, it was always rated for 10 amps DC. Every year they change the outside case to make it look different but inside is basically the same meter. One year they decided to sell the same meter and claimed that it could read 20 amps. I bought that one. I just found out that in very small print, they state that it can read 20 amps but for only 15 seconds, then it needs to rest for 30 minutes before taking the next reading. In my book, that is deception. It would be a long time before I buy anything at Canadian Tire.

Having to wait that long between readings is not acceptable for the tests that I want to do. That would take me all day. I have a few other meters but they all have a maximum of 10 amps current reading.

Today I went out and bought a Klein Tools CL-380 clamp meter. This one is good for up to 400 Amps AC and DC and it is also a True-RMS voltmeter. It is loaded with many other nice features. I will use this one to do the testing tomorrow.

12792-0

I connected the Variac straight to a section of the heating element to see what it would do.
Here is a picture of the homemade S’mores roaster   :D

12793-1

Ed

Harold in CR

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2020, 08:03:16 AM »
I should have a clamp on ammeter, but, they are just too expensive.  I have a 0-300-600 ammeter that just rides on the cable like a little shelf on the back of it. The small digital volt-ammeters, I just don't trust the magic smoke staying inside.

That nichrome tester looks pretty good.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »
You might want to patent that bad boy!! Some brioche some butter and I'm in!

;)

Y'all Stay Safe
Bruce S

MagnetJuice

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 01:55:26 AM »
Here are the results of testing the Variac with different loads.

12802-0

As you can see, the highest voltage that I can get out of the Variac with the dial set all the way into the 130 Volts setting was 116 Vdc with a load of 10.3 ohms. That is the resistance of the full heating element. The last three tests on the table were done with the dial all the way into the 130 volts setting.

I suspect that the low voltage output is because of the thin wire that they use to wind the transformer. Too much resistance in the wire.

For an output of 2 Kw, the maximum voltage was only 103.7.

I expect that if a Variac like this is going to be used to charge a battery to 126 volts, some type of voltage doubler has to be added to the circuit.

I don't have any high capacitance, high voltage electrolytic capacitors that I can try. The biggest I have is 160 uF at 200 V, and 220 uF at 385 volts. Not sure if that would increase the voltage that much.

I have a few microwave oven capacitors rated at 2 Kv, but the capacitance is only .92 uF. Could those be used on the AC side before the bridge rectifier?

Ed
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:26:17 AM by MagnetJuice »

Harold in CR

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2020, 07:27:09 AM »
Wow. 103.7V is kinda pitiful coming out of a 130V 2KW rated transformer. How warm/hot did the variac get.

Fishing for info here; can I assume that "run" caps on an electric motor act similarly to a governor on a combustion engine to keep rpm's up in a heavy load situation ?

If I were to buy one of these variacs, I think it would be the 20A max listed one, to keep from running maximum output to help with resistance at around 15A output  or so. Price difference is $12.00- $15.00with free shipping.

Thanks for doing all the testing and reporting the results here. Really appreciated.