Author Topic: Blew up my grid tie inverter! Need to find some replacement rectifiers...  (Read 1157 times)

makenzie71

My inverter has twelve of these things in a row and it blew every single one of them.  The vendor is replacing it for free but is not requiring this one back so I'm going to take a stab at fixing it.  I just need to find some more of these little buggers.  I'm having really poor luck on Amazon and eBay but I might not be using the correct search terms.  If you guys could help me find some I would greatly appreciate it!

makenzie71

Okay realized why i can’t sort it out...818p has got to be a mfg part number.  There was an actual rating on it i think up above...that whited out part is actually a ground off section.

Might just have to guess :D

bigrockcandymountain

That looks just like a charge controller i tried to fix recently.  It had a row of parallel blown mosfets.  I soldered on a new row of them with new resistors and drivers.  It turned on and looked promising, and then blew up again.  I probably had a solder short somewhere.  I kind of lost interest after that.  Maybe i will try again if you try fixing this. 

I believe your blown components are mosfets too.  I am not sure if you are an old hand at electronic repair or not.  I am definitely not.  Removing the damaged components was way harder than soldering on the new ones.  Lots of people on here with lots of good advice.  I will read the replies and try to learn something too.

makenzie71

I'm generally pretty decent with replacing components like this and have the tools to do it.  A lot of this stuff I may not understand how it works, but that kind of knowledge is generally not required if you're just replacing the damaged part.  Usually the parts have values or part numbers on them I can look up, though.  These, not so much...so I'm not sure what to buy to put back in their place.

bigrockcandymountain

Are there any other numbers on the other ones besides the 818p? It looks like they are parallel.

makenzie71

They are all parallel.  No other numbers.  For some reason they ground off the model numbers on that row.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Not a bridge, it is a FET... The I diode symbol(hmmm some electronic component emotes would be sweet!) R stands for International Rectifier, now part of Infion, asking them may get you somewhere... it is a P channel fet, if your inverter is 12-24 volt chances are it is a 30 volt device...

makenzie71

What makes you say P channel?  I was advised elsewhere that they're N channel.  International Rectifier basically told me that since the assembler ground the part number off I'm out of luck...their guess is as good as mine.

The vendor is replacing the thing for free so I'm only going to be out the cost of parts if I can get it running again.  What would you think would be a good mosfet to try?  The inverter is marked 22~50v and documentation says it's a maximum of 50 amps on the input side.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Psst - maybe they forgot to blankity-blank the replacement part details?

If* it were a custom silicon foundry part they'd be showing their corporate-secret number instead of erasures, I'd think that is a good sign it is a common part.

margusten

Hi,

Did You blow up Your solar grid tie inverter?
May be these transistors are IRF3205 N channel MOSFET
You can find datasheet easily from internet.
They have max. voltage 55V and You added more ...
Here is some example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cssTdfa14ss

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
What makes you say P channel?  I was advised elsewhere that they're N channel.  International Rectifier basically told me that since the assembler ground the part number off I'm out of luck...their guess is as good as mine.

The vendor is replacing the thing for free so I'm only going to be out the cost of parts if I can get it running again.  What would you think would be a good mosfet to try?  The inverter is marked 22~50v and documentation says it's a maximum of 50 amps on the input side.

818P... that part number is nagging my memory but I can't remember where I ran across it... the P meant P channel...