Author Topic: Would this be possible? (dual F&P stator idea)  (Read 619 times)

makenzie71

Would this be possible? (dual F&P stator idea)
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
Some I'm building a rig that will run these two stators back to back.  My intention was to try and find a way to make them viable without having to rearrange the coils, but I'm going to have to convert them both to 3x4c setups to get anything out of it.  What I'm curious about, though, if it might be possible to wire up both stators to work together as one single stator.  The way it's arranged I can time the rotors in any way I want, and the coils are mirrored so it seems (to me, I'm probably over simplifying this) that I would just mirror the coil arrangement on the rear rotor.  Instead of there being three sets of coils run in parallel, there would be six. 

Of course the issue I currently have is that the voltage is too high to use for anything reasonable...if I understand this correctly this should keep voltage roughly the same as a stndard 2x3c configuration but the current would double.  Am I understanding that correctly?

Opinions?

makenzie71

Re: Would this be possible? (dual F&P stator idea)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »
and yes I know this would likely be a back shed question but I can't seem to access their forum and I haven't found anyone who's taken a stab and doing it this way.

kitestrings

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
Mak, There's a guy named PhillM on The Back Shed hes's done a lot with multiple stator units.  I believe he runs a company called Oz Engineering.  see:

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=2&TID=1112

http://www.ozwindengineering.com/Products.php

makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 10:43:27 PM »
I've checked out his stuff, as well as a few others who have done dual (or more) stator setups...but they run them as individual stators.  I haven't found anyone who's tried running two stators in a parallel circuit before.

Either way it seems I've encountered a more pressing issue...these stators are aluminum wound.  I don't have and can't get an appropriate solder at this time thanks to the world at present so I'm having to find another way to make the needed changes.  Right now I'm reconnecting all the coils with twice crimp twists with some super glue for support then shrink wrapping the connection.  If it gets hot  I don't know that it'll hold up well.  Hopefully it doesn't get too hot.