Author Topic: Fried Controll/Panel?  (Read 1445 times)

oldmil

Fried Controll/Panel?
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »
Hello All:

This morning I was hooking a 12v trolling motor battery to my 2 6v golf cart batteries (series wired for 12v) to keep it charged.  Oops, I hooked up the trolling motor backwards (+ to - , - to +).  Got some sparking and sizzling on the terminals on one of the 6v batteries.  I had it hooked up for maybe 5 or 10 seconds.  Now there is no power coming into Morningstar SS10 controller.  No light on it and no voltage on the leads from the panel, which is a 60w Kyocera.  I didn't have time to take anything apart to see what may be going on.

Do you think I fried the controller and panel?  I would assume if the panel was still working, I would get voltage on the leads coming from it.

Thanks for any info.

Oldmil

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Fried Controll/Panel?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »
disconnect solar, disconnct battery. Reconnect battery, reconnect solar in that order... does a reset on the charge controller.

oldmil

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:42:50 PM »
Thanks Mary!  I will try that next time I go up to the cabin.  I sure hope that's all it takes!!

Oldmil

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 09:26:41 AM »
IF still no voltage coming from panel, check panel on back for little box. Could be you zapped the diode too.

Here's hoping no all of the magic smoke got loose.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee

oldmil

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 03:20:18 PM »
Well, the diodes were definitely blown.  One had the black casing completely blown off, one was cracked in half and the other two were intact.  While I'm waiting for new diodes, is there a way to test that the panel is still putting out power?  I tried with my multimeter across the + and - lugs and nothing.  Tried between the center lug where the diodes both hook up to both + and - lugs and nothing.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Oldmil

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 02:41:38 PM »
make sure the meter os set to DC and not AC? ((Don't take this wrong, I don't know your level of electronic expertise...)

oldmil

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »
No problem, Mary!

I took out the diodes and am getting 22v in direct sun.  Hooked it up to the charge controller and to a battery and am getting 14.4 v.  Looks like all is well.  I will replace the diodes even though I've heard some say they are not needed.  Maybe they will save the panel again the next time I hook the battery up backwards!

Thanks all for the help.

Oldmil